WANTED 8.25 sure grip and 3.90 or 4.10 gears

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfafish

Reaction score
Contact seller
As it says above, I'm looking to upgrade my rear end. Currently it's a 3.55 open in an 82 D150. If you have one in good condition please PM me with the price of the parts, and what you estimate for shipping to 98604. I may be able to ship this stuff to myself cheap if necessary.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
For the carrier, you are looking for '96 and older (27 spline) - for the axle spline count changed in '97 (to 29 spline).

The 8-1/4" differential was used for most vehicles Chrysler made. The big difference was overall width spring perch location and if spring perches were located on top (pickup) or bottom (most everything else) of axle tubes.

I take it you have an differential from an '82 pickup you are trying to install into your FMJ or is it already modified and installed?

Getting back to your question(s):
Spicer Dana 75101X, Axle Differential Carrier 35 Loaded Open For Mopar, 8.25”, | eBay
RICHMOND Excel Ring & Pinion Gear Set Mopar4.10 Ratio 8.25 P/N - CR825410 | eBay
Aftermarket C8.25-390 Transmission RG/PIN, CHR8.25, 3.90, 85-06 DIFFERENTIAL | eBay

halfafish

Reaction score
The rear end is in my truck, I decided to post the wanted ad here too as many FMJ cars came with the 8.25 rear end. Thanks for the info and links. I shall continue my search.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure of exact numbers but would say, maybe, 1 of 8 FMJ's came with 8-1/4" and other 7 of 8 came with 7-1/4"
Most (but not all) station wagons and most (but not all) police/taxi's came with 8-1/4".

The '66-70 Mopar B-body differentials fit with little work (7-1/4", 8-1/4", 8-3/4" and 9-3/4").
The Jeep liberty's will fit with some work (cutting off and welding on external tabs to convert from rear coil spring to rear leaf spring suspension. Another plus is most (but not all) Liberty's come with rear disk brakes (with also require some modifications to work) - but the Liberty rear disk brakes is "mostly" a bolt on change for any 7-1/4" or 8-1/4" diffs.

Some have used Ford 8.8" differentials - but I have no experience with them.

A person can use pretty much anything - if you want to get axle tube cut/re-welded and axles cut/re-splined. The D150 pickup differentials are about eight to ten inches wider than FMJ's.

They are pricy, but indestructible, Dana 60 (9-3/4") are still being built - to your exact specifications (ready to bolt in) - but expect to pay out the nose for one. There are a couple of forum members here that have 'em.

If you have a pickup, a good upgrade for it would be the 9-1/4" or 9-3/4".
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Before I would use an 8.25 I would use a 9.25,, most 2wd trucks have them after 93 and with a sure grip.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Being in a truck yes go 9.25. Shouldn't be hard to find but not many had those steep gears. Might be better off checking moparts or a truck forum. Your not going to find anything with 3.9 or 4.10 in these cars.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Used part.com for the 9.25, use 05 as the year and 2wd with the gear and differential you want and if one is available you will no about it. Then I would go to my local salvage yard and see if you can get it from them, the last time I did this I paid the same price it was on the internet for with no shipping.
Good luck

halfafish

Reaction score
Well, this is a slant truck with an 833OD trans, so it's not going to need anything more robust than the current 8.25. I got lucky at a local car swap meet and found an 8.25 trac-lok so now I'm down to needing just the gears. Dr. Diff has them so if I can't find a used set I'll be calling him for some new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back