WANTED 8.25 Sure grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb400dart

Reaction score
me to 8 1/4" limited slip units ratio specific (2.25-2.45)
or open just need to get the gears in

Camtron

Reaction score
I have a used 8.25” , open carrier with a 2:94 gear and pinion and bearings in good working condition that I’ll let go for the cost of shipping.
I also have a brand new 8.25”, Dana limited slip with carrier bearings and a 3:21 ring gear installed and the pinion and pinion bearing to go along with. I’ll ship that out for $425

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The 2.2-2.4 limited slip carrier will be a tough one to find.
The car (any car) will run many many many times better with 2.9 or 3.2’s in it (or lower). It is almost like adding a couple more cylinders to the engine.

The best place for a 2.2 or 2.4 ring/pinion gear set is for a door stop, paper weight and/or boat anchor (which is my opinion only and not to criticize anyone).
I’m rebuilding a diff for my Fifth Ave and can’t get rid of the 2.2’s in it fast enough.

eBay is a good source for a used one (but none are currently available). They have new ones starting at $300.
Any Chrysler/Jeep carrier will work if it is out of a ’68-95 Chrysler product with an 8¼”. The ’96 and newer have different axle spline count (but would otherwise fit). The one you want is 27 spline count. The ’97 and newer are 29 spline count.
BudW

bb400dart

Reaction score
BudW I appreciate the advice and I agree, this is more an experiment in top speed I will be utilizing ground effects and
installing a 833 O.D. behind a 225 slant 6 inter-cooled turbo. not how fast i get rather but top speed I can reach.
I currently have 3.91 and the car is set up for solo II, but I don't have the time to race so I am going to find something
new to try.

88_AHB

Reaction score
I was looking to go either 3.21 or 3.55 gears,still undecided.I have been trying to find a limited slip carrier 8.25 out of a 96 and older cherokee or dakota they should still be 27 spline. Are they newer limited slips worth trying to find/rebuild?Compared to the older suregrips or are they just the same quality amongst Chrysler products?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Quality the same, I would say yes.
For most people, ANY limited slip carrier gives most people very little trouble over a lifetime (...which might not be not well defined).

The “open” carriers "less the side gears" are the same pre and post '96. There is just no gears or other available parts for the pre '96 cone style limited slip carrier. You can't pay me enough to reuse an open carrier, though.

I was on this site a short time ago (for something else) Mopar 8 1/4" Spicer "Trac-Lok" Differential and saw they have new limited slip carriers (27 spline, which will fit our cars). This design has the replaceable discs inside – but also is required to use the limited slip additive (or you WILL get chatter on turns).

I don't like the cone type (OE style) limited slip only because it was not rebuildable (or at least back then) but that doesn't make it a bad unit. Of all the carriers I had to replace (or rebuild) – they were all of the disk style, and not cone style – but not sure if that means much. The cars with clutch type carriers typically had a lot more HP to play with.

As long as it held when removed – I would not have any concern over installing a used cone style carrier into a car and stand behind it. A used clutch type, I would at least replace the clutch disks, first.

The limited slip carrier I will be using will be the Eaton TrueTrac design (has no clutches or cones) – but they don't make one for 27 spline 8¼” differentials – and I doubt they ever will (not enough call for them).
BudW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back