8.8 swap....on the m-body?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Unless your running 400 plus horsepower with slicks through your axle assembly you probably don't need a 8.8. A good LS differential will help an 8.1/4 live on the street. The 8.8 would be overkill for a stockish 318/360 car.

greyghost

Reaction score
i agree !
lotta money and time for what,a limited slip 3:73 gear?

about the 8-1/4 part,
in the m bodies ive been buying it seems to be a rare option??
then again,if a b body 8-3/4 fits our m bodies then a b body 8-1/4 will too.
yes,no?
I'm just a few years off from the conversation but, I have a '79 300 (Cordoba) which is a 'B' body. Does this mean I could replace the 7.25 rear in my LeBaron with the 9.25 from the 300 without any major modifications?

TheSkunk

Reaction score
For the OP I also am planning on upgrading to a mustang 8.8 for my 79 Lebaron. I have one from another car I used to have and has less then 50k miles limited slip 3:73s kinda not worth the price to buy another 8 3/4 (car is getting big block 4 spd swap). 8.8s handle plenty of power and come with disc brakes.
Only downside iv seen is the lack of a good pinion snubber idea due to location.

Of what iv gathered I will need to remove the mustangs mounting and weld on leaf spring perches (also going iso delete) and a special u joint. But I have small u joint drive shaft so I will go ahead and upgrade driveshaft. Plz post what you plan on doing when I get around to doing it I’m gonna do my best to document it for the rest.

greyghost

Reaction score
It sounds like your plan is fairly aggressive! Are you doing the welding? That's a skill I don't have. Having disc brakes in the rear is something That I also would like to have someday. Right now I have my dash all apart trying to replace the incandescent dash lights with LED bulbs and it has me in fits!! I'm getting ready to search our threads to post my issue and to see if anyone else in the forum experienced the same issues!

Back