81 Dippy brake light switch

shadango

Reaction score
Found that my brake lights were not working at all.....all 4 dead......did the usual checks...bulbs, fuse....

Turns out the witch on the pedal was not...er...switching. It was loose on the mount so first thing I tried was to tighten it up a bit...no change......so....

I took it out (they don't make it easy to get at for an old fat guy with a nad back, do they!?!?) and hooked up a meter....worked it a bunch of times and it started working.

It is sealed (couldnt really try and clean any contacts inside) so I figure I should probably get a new one....the OEM one is marked "made in japan" and is all white plastic and has the pigtail for cruise control....

Anyone know where I can find a GOOD quality one?

Rockauto only lists the "w/o cruise" version.......... :(

I found the one I need (in the picture) on ebay but $85 NOS!!!!!!

dippy brake switch.JPG

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
The same switch was used in different years, but the connector on the leads for the cruise control are different. 1982 Dodge Diplomat, Standard Motor Products SLS117, you will have to change the plug body, but the switch will work.

shadango

Reaction score
The same switch was used in different years, but the connector on the leads for the cruise control are different. 1982 Dodge Diplomat, Standard Motor Products SLS117, you will have to change the plug body, but the switch will work.
Thanks! This i great info.....it sure does LOOK the same and its available on rock auto for $27!

brake switch sls117.JPG

shadango

Reaction score
I found a brand new one for even less on ebay...$16! woohoo! I will keep it as a spare now since the original seems to still be working.....I dont twist into a pretzel under a dash as easily as I used to...LOL....so not gonna do it unless necessary.

Thanks again for this info!

Back