83 Imperial

83Imp

Reaction score
So what would a good price be ?? The guy has obo depends on how bad he wants to sell it .

It sure would be nice to see some pics.

My 83 looks pretty much like the 81FS in the pics above from 10 feet. It is rust free but the ds front fender has a dent. The interior is VERY nice, but nowhere near perfect (headliner, oxidization on some plastichrome pieces)... It still had FI and was is a non-runner. I gave the guy $800 for it but I planned from the start to do the minimal to get it running, and if I found out the FI was junk, I would go with a big block. That's where I am now. If I were you, I might go another $100 for the FS... but it would have to be nice.

You can find running, nice condition 81-83 Imperials on eBay or Craigslist for well under 3K - Maybe 4K for a FS. That's what they're worth right now. If you buy it for $900 and put 3K in it... you just break even.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
All that sound deadning really holds the mosture. Up here they are all super soft. Makes F's look super solid.

I've seen a lot of nice 'looking' ones, but they were super spongy.

Then all the small trim, hard to find. Back bumper. Not easy.

If it was parked on dirt/grass where it got wet, it's junk.

furyfrank

Reaction score
All that sound deadning really holds the mosture. Up here they are all super soft. Makes F's look super solid.

I've seen a lot of nice 'looking' ones, but they were super spongy.

Then all the small trim, hard to find. Back bumper. Not easy.

If it was parked on dirt/grass where it got wet, it's junk.

Here in az dirt and grass don't hold moisture long, so I am thinking the body is in good shape, the biggest problem to me is the EFI, I wish it was converted I would probally buy it. It also was sitting under a carport.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Last thing I'd worry about is the FI. It's going anyways.
The dealers ripped them off new and put carbs on. Bet a whole kits are still available.

It's the trim parts...and how about that digital speedo? Does it work?
Can swap it out for a Mirada set up, but now that's more $ and time.
Rear bumpers like to rust too.

83Imp

Reaction score
Last thing I'd worry about is the FI. Bet a whole kits are still available. ...Rear bumpers like to rust too.

Yep, unless you're a Concours restorer... but no to the second part of that. The "kit" included a jumper wire harness for the engine compartment that MUST be sourced from a doner car. They are non-existent anywhere... unobtanium. There is also a fuel flow metering unit that makes the digital fuel monitoring/display work... again, you need a doner car to do it properly or the display shows 99.99 for the mpg all the time.

The front bumpers on the Imperials are also aluminum. They suffer from exfoliation as badly as the rears. This car is in Arizona. With any luck, the bumpers may still be quite nice. My car came from New Jersey and mine are in surprisingly good shape.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Not a expert here, but I'd think it's pretty well the same as de-lean burning, but have to swap to mechanial fuel pump.

What needs to be jumped?
Just asking. I dunno Imp EFI
Also there's everything on the net. Someone may have it if you have part numbers.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If he wants $1500 and the car's in nice shape and it's running, why not offer him a grand, maybe get it for $1200 and just drive it. Who cares if it's FI if it's running?

I was talking to Rick Ehrenberg at Mopar Action about what to swap into my Caravelle on the cheap. He suggested pulling a 360 Magnum out of a boneyard Dak.
I priced one out. $800 including tranny. Then you're dealing with SMPI though. AND I'm not sure what's involved in swapping it into that car.
If it's possible, it's cheap power and Dak's are fairly easy to find.
Point being...there's always an option

If you want real low buck and minimal hassle.
Buy it... Drive it.

furyfrank

Reaction score
Like I said it hasn't run in 6 years so how many things could go wrong sitting all that while, gaskets and who knows what else. If is was a car with a carb I would gamble, but seeing if is a EFI car and parts are scarce and it hasn't run in 6 years I am going to pass but if somebody is interested in it I will give you contact info.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Like I said it hasn't run in 6 years so how many things could go wrong sitting all that while, gaskets and who knows what else. If is was a car with a carb I would gamble, but seeing if is a EFI car and parts are scarce and it hasn't run in 6 years I am going to pass but if somebody is interested in it I will give you contact info.

I've got three cars on the go right now so my stable is good right now.
I will say this though... I just bought my 79 Dippy. It was sitting dead for at least 6 years and she fired up with just a boost and some fresh gas down the carb.

Even though it's FI she might want to go.
Have you asked the seller if it's running or if it'll start?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My 79 Medallion sat for 8-10 yrs. Primed the oil system, tossed in 94 octane and a new battery. Fired right over.
Even with the 79 'lean burn' stuff.

My buddy just fired up a 85 Dip that sat outside for 8 yrs. He didn't have any problems either.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My 79 Medallion sat for 8-10 yrs. Primed the oil system, tossed in 94 octane and a new battery. Fired right over.
Even with the 79 'lean burn' stuff.

My buddy just fired up a 85 Dip that sat outside for 8 yrs. He didn't have any problems either.

Exactly Doc.
Most of these gems WANT to go.

furyfrank

Reaction score
I have had cars that have sat for years and started right up but they had a carb, this system had problems when new so the odds are it could have problems. Remember the fuel pump is in the gas tank sitting with all that bad gas for all of those years.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh I understand. It's just commitment.
If you want the car, you'll get it running.
If you don't REALLY want it.
Don't bother.

Dago Red

Reaction score
All Better Now

If I remember right I asked what you wanted and you said that maybe you might need something from me, so if I owe you let me know how much.
and I will pay you no problem. I waited for a reply from you and never got one.:poke:
If I owe I pay. There was never a firm price and I asked how much you wanted.

Fair enough. I thought (and that may have been my boo-boo) we were going to see if they fit and worked good. No problem here, I call the ledger zero balanced. Enjoy, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Now on the Imp, $1500 obo rust free isn't bad (better if it's a Sinatra) My thinking is a new Gen Hemi with a 5sp auto, or maybe make a Mustang/Camaro eater with a stroker small block. Back in the real world, I have to think that the M harness will interchange and I'm wondering if on of our tech experts have delved into that possibility.

83Imp

Reaction score
To my knowledge, the M harness will work IF you swap out the Imp's digital dash for a Cordoba or Mirada unit... but, if you have that, you probably have the engine harness too. The Imperial has a fuel flow meter that it uses for the dash's computations. There is a retrofit meter for the factory carb conversions. Without the meter, the computer doesn't do much, and the MPG readout always reads "0" or "0.00" or something like that.

CMX360

Reaction score
Like others have said if the EFI works and its a clean car leave it alone. Its very rare for them to still have it. To me its worth more with it than without. If you really want an Imp but don't want EFI look for another one. If the car is a turd then I guess its no loss if you do your own thing with it. When Chrysler changed them over they put in a new gas tank, gas lines, complete exhaust system, engine harness, a new digital dashboard, and a 4BBL intake manifold and carb. Someone said to use a Mirada cluster if you change it but I don't think it'll fit in a Imp dash. You would have to change the whole dash because I doubt the structure behind is the same.

Back