86 Road Runner

CMX360

Reaction score
Came across some amazing info this weekend. Picked up an old issue of MoPERFORMANCE magazine from a local Hemi meet that had a article about a M-body based Road Runner set for release at the end of 86. It says that the coupes were going to make a comeback. The RR's were going to come in three colors to start. Garnet Red Pearlcoat, Gunmetal Blue Pearlcoat, and Black Crystal Clearcoat. All three would have dual stripes around the front of the car that end on the doors that would be silver and gray. They would have a plastic nose and aero-skirts along the bottom of the fenders, doors, and quarters. A full length tail light and a body color rear bumper that tucks up to the car along with a rear spoiler with high light. Its looks like it would have had Miradaish mirrors instead of rallye mirrors. No dual exhaust tips are shown in the concept art. Interiors would be gray and silver with high back buckets. Little Road Runners would be sewn into the head rests. The hood would be fiberglass. It would have had 16x8 wheels with Goodyear Gaterback tires. The engine would be a modified police spec 318 with Chrysler/Bosch fuel injection producing 200 HP. A 727 auto trans and a 8 1/4 3.55 gear sure-grip rear. Chrysler expected to sell 20,000 a year at a sticker price between $15-16,000. I want to build one of these so bad now. It can definitely be done. Making the nose would be the hardest part but you could used the Mirada nose and the Omni noses to see how Chrysler would have done it. My scanner is acting up right now but when and if I get it going I'll scan the pages from the article. I did a goolge search on it and found nothing.

crayzcuda

Reaction score
You've got an awesome set of tools, you can build one! Then take some pics so we all can see. LOL

bill55az

Reaction score
The last 2 years for coupes are the best M bodies made with respect to looks....
80 Volare wagon would be my second choice. I have the Dippy Coupe, still looking for the wagon....
And if I could get a nice cop car as well......the wife would shoot me...

CMX360

Reaction score
Oops I forgot all about it. Here it is. This is the best I could do without ruining my magazine. Such a shame it didn't get greenlit. Imagaine how many awesome cars they would have built if they had the same cash reserves as Ford and GM in those years. And imagine how many sexy Plymouths would be on the roads today if the damn germans hadn't killed off the division in 2000.
img003.jpg

Bryan M.

Reaction score
...they modified a line drawing of a '84-'88 Monte Carlo SS notchback! The nose looks like early FWD Daytona, the taillight could be modified from a 90's Imperial...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Looks like it's based on a Turismo to me. With absolute free reign to do what you want to the tail.
Why not a 5th tail light deal on the back with Plymouth in the middle.

Last edited:

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I was thinking shaved trunklid Pentastar and "road runner" across the lid...

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'd stick to the markings they have but they obviously never figured out the tail lights.
So they're open house really.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
I'm intrigued to see that nose on a 2-dr Dip. It's mostly bodykit after that, could be done relatively cheaply using ABS plastic or fiberglass for temps. I'm really tempted to do this now..

Eastyorker

Reaction score
Wow, what could have been. Anyone have a spare time machine?

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
...they modified a line drawing of a '84-'88 Monte Carlo SS notchback! The nose looks like early FWD Daytona, the taillight could be modified from a 90's Imperial...

I was going to say that the nose looked like the early FWD Chargers. They should have went with it, I bet they would have sold alot of them.
Just makes my two 80 M Coupes all the more rare.

Back