87' 5th - Test 6280 Mixture Solenoid?

mgbeda

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding the Holley 6280 carb on my '87 5th avenue. Before I put it all back together I would like to test the idle mixture solenoid. But how? Cant find anything about this. Can I just put 12V + and - to the terminals and see if it clicks? Which would be + and - ? Sure don't want to burn it out if it is okay.

BTW, it's a Cali car in Cali, so changing to a 2280 is not an option.

Thanks,

-mB

R.W.Dale

Reaction score
The way to test an injector is to just bump the two terminals with a 9v battery and see if it clicks. I would be surprised if this didn’t work for the mixture solenoid too

I’m told if you hold the charge on for more than a couple seconds you can damage the windings.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It would be run on a duty cycle, which means it pulses on-off-on-off measured in a certain number milliseconds per on and off cycle (like an injector or trans pressure control solenoid) sort of like making it "float" at a certain opening. Powering it for a few seconds won't hurt anything. Power it steady for 6 hours,,,,,,,,,,,,different story. You can also check the resistance of the windings. USUALLY pulse width solenoids like this one are between 20 and 30 ohms or so but what the actual spec is, no idea so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't take that as an absolute!:eek:

mgbeda

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. I got brave and tested it. 9V battery did nothing. Ohmeter sez 47 Ohms. I used a jump starter pack and it clicks and I can see a tiny bit of movement back and forth. Seems green wire is negative and tan wire is positive. So near as I can figure it still works. Thanks for the moral support.

-mB

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'd guess 9 volts with enough amperage would work but a small battery doesn't have enough to operate the solenoid. The ohms is most likely OK. I got curious and searched for a spec but came up with zip. Must be classified information only given out on a need to know basis, lol.:eek:

Back