A-518 in a J-body?

ohiomopar

Reaction score
Has anyone done it? I've been researching it a bit, and can't find J-body info. Will there need to be floor pan/crossmember cutting/fabrication? I'm thinking of just making a cool cruiser out of my Mirada. Magnum engine, overdrive, a little steeper gear and make all the accessories work. Still in the planning stages. Will be for a little while.
Feel free to chime in!
By the way, I found the PTC website and will be doing their conversion for overdrive and the convertor lockup. Still need to research the torque convertor I will want(a bit o'stall), etc.

mirada80

Reaction score
Mopar Muscle Magazine did a project Cordoba years ago and they installed a A518, I know I still have the magazines in the attic somewhere, it may take a while to find the articles, but if you want I'll see what was in the article about it. Seems to me it was actually called Mobydoba, or something to that effect.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
MM installed a A500.
I had an early A518 in a Mirada the OD was activated by a simple push button switch. The trans tunnel needs to be cut, so does the crossmember. The small trans mount will not fit, simply use the larger "butterfly" type. The driveshaft has to shortened too.
TheA500 would be a better choice, they are lighter, take less HP to turn and I belive they have a lower 1st gear ratio
Low end acceleration suffered tremendously with the A518 frictional losses

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Butterfly style trans mount

1377806581650.jpg

ohiomopar

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. Lots of helpful info here! As long as a A-500 would live behind a little more stout engine in the future, I don't have an issue with using a 904 based trans.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I can't find the link, but somewhere I came across the trans info A500 / A518 and putting them to use in a 727 / 904 spot. Roadrunninmark found the kit to put that 500 gear in the 518. Also, 1995 is the last year for non computer controlled. There is a vacuum switch set up on the web to make the non computer controlled one work. Hell, He and I found a 1990 this past spring at a swap meet. If I remember right. It was the Non lock up type. Sounds like you want a lock up type, so be sure to make certain that's what you are getting. Apparently, the non lock up are more for high output drag type applications. good luck

My imp

Reaction score
Mopar Muscle Magazine did a project Cordoba years ago and they installed a A518, I know I still have the magazines in the attic somewhere, it may take a while to find the articles, but if you want I'll see what was in the article about it. Seems to me it was actually called Mobydoba, or something to that effect.
I have them all, most of the articles only say that they installed any given parts, not very informative. I rooted them out when I bought the Imperial, not very informative on specific mod.'s. IMHO They're packed in a box again, by I'll see if I can find them for you.

joemac1j

Reaction score
Car was Chrysler Power magazine project, it was called Moldy Doba. Was a white Cordoba.

Mopartriot

Reaction score
What year & make had flutterby X members ? The a hole I got it from, pinched shut the DS tube. I just swapped out my /6 904(?) 4 the DS tube. its a good 1- 1/12 2 short, but is just till I can get the correct Dip Stick.

NoCar340

Reaction score
The A500 is a lockup trans, so it will do better fuel economy wise. As far as horsepower goes, if you keep it reasonable it should live. If you get above about 300-325HP, though, you're getting close to needing an A518. The lockup converters are known weak points, as are the OD units. As mentioned, it's a 904/999-based transmission so it's a little weak in stock form. On the other hand, all the ultra-cool go-fast stuff (Red Eagle clutches and bands, shift kits, etc.) still work with it. There's not much you can do about the converter since it's still a hydraulic lockup, but a momentary switch hooked to the throttle/kickdown linkage that disengages the overdrive when you stand on it will help immensely in keeping the OD unit in good working order if you forget to turn it off manually (impromptu race, passing, etc.). Keep it nice and cool. An aluminum finned pan is a good idea, and don't forget the cooler lines on the A500 are 3/8", while your originals are 5/16". Get rid of any 5/16" line or hose in the system so you have maximum flow. Use Type F/FA fluid rather than Mopar ATF or Dexron III and keep after the band & kickdown adjustments and it should live a nice, long life.

Yes, you're going to have to hack up your floor and upper/lower crossmembers to do it. On most of the conversions I've seen, the original crossmember gets modified to use an old Camaro/Firebird mount, which is very flat and gives you good clearance... but I haven't seen one done in a while, so if there's a kit out there that would be the way to go.

mirada64

Reaction score
I did the A500 conversion for my '81 Mirada, and relocated the emergency foot brake to a hand brake controller which I located on the center console area. This freed up floor space on the floor to use a headlight dimmer switch to control the convertor lockup feature. I have a 8-1/4" rear with 355:1 ratio. I have plans this summer to change-out the rear end for an explorer 8.8 L/S 373:1 rear disc setup that will work with my hand E-brake setup. It is a nice cruiser with a S/B 360. I have another J-body (Cordoba) where I would like either do a fuel injected S/B 360 Magnum engine or late model Hemi engine which would be the toughest to do.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I would think the ones for retrofit into a B-body would be close, with problems likely arising in the steering column and AC box areas.

Slodoba

Reaction score
518 is in the shop now for a rebuild. Getting performance clutches, a shift kit and hemi converter. I’m running an 8&3/4 rear and will be installing my 3.91 posi pumpkin.

087FD117-377F-43FB-AAEA-97D1FD989FCE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back