A/C Conversion Question

randomguy

Reaction score
Okay, I'm considering a J-Body I'm looking at didn't have A/C from the factory. I'm wondering how much work or how much difficulty would it be to convert over to A/C? My biggest concern would be at the firewall and into the body of the car. I'm just wondering the differences there as well and if this will require to much effort?

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
It would be a huge project. An aftermarket setup may be the easiest, but J-Body dash-boards don't have a lot of room underneath for the portion that is inside the car. My bet is that you'd be happy with they way that would look. If A/C is a must have, I'd buy a parts car. You're going to need most of the HVAC system that resides on the inside of the car. The main box, the blend doors and the vacuum-actuation system is quite a bit different between non-A/C and an A/C car. You might have to take the entire dash-board out to be able to get to all the screws holding the system to the firewall.... At least, that would be the easiest way otherwise you're going to spend a whole lot of time contorted looking up under the dash area.

randomguy

Reaction score
Thank you all here's the response I got from Classic Auto Air:

For the Mirada, we can put together a custom kit based on the information you supply.
We offer two fully electronic Flex-Fit kits that include the Street Rod Cooler III (SRCIII) and the Custom Colder Elite (1-1090). The third universal unit is the SRCII. It is a cable operated unit.
The difference in the evap units is the size. The SRCII and SRC III are 20-1/2" in length, 9-1/2" in height, and 7-1/8" in width. The Elite is 24-5/8" in length, 10-1/2" in height, and 8-3/4" in width. I would recommend fabricating a cardboard box with the dimensions listed and check for clearance issues.

On all your options of evap units, the coil connections will face the passenger side kick panel. The hoses can be ran out through the kick panel. This will conceal the hoses.

Once you determine which evap unit will best fit, you will need measure the radiator opening for the largest condenser that will fit. You will also have your choice of four louvers you would like to use, a choice of two defrost ducts. You will also need to look at the current control panel and see if it can be modified to accept the cable integrators.

Since the kit is custom, ordering the kit sounds pretty daunting. If you take your time and order the best fitting components, it will make the installation less of a headache

Back