A Few More Newbie Questions

Justwondering

Reaction score
I've just completed :
1. New a/c compressor install
2. Replaced the hoses (upper radiator, heater hoses, bypass- but not lower radiator)
3. Packrat ate through electrical harness - patched 7 lines

Here be my new questions and observations:
1. BudW was absolutely correct telling me to replace the hoses when I did the compressor. I should have listened to him. Everything was much easier to get to -- he was right.

2. I think one of my heater hoses is too long. I must have mismeasured because I had to tie wrap it to the brace to keep it from hitting the first belt on the a/c pulley.
Should I drain it and shorten it or just leave the tie wrap?

3. I found lots of chipping paint (black) from the top of the engine (manifolds?).
Should I treat it or cover it with something to slow the rust?

4. There were two springs (throttle springs?) which I returned to their original place.
Why do I need two springs?
IMG_5042.jpg

5. The gray wire that goes to the conical connector on the end of the brake fluid manifold? doesn't seem to be staying on. I believe I have the wire butt splices correct but the brake light flickers when I drive. Any pointers?
IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

The above connector was patched back into the existing line but I think it isn't staying on its position well which is causing the brake light to flicker.

6. Is is okay to drive around with the glue traps under the hood?
Or do I need to remember to remove them before I hit the road?
IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

7. Seems like it was really difficult to get the engine to start up. This is still an original lean burn install. I must have pumped the pedal and tried the starter about a dozen times. Never smelled gas, so I know it wasn't flooding. But it seemed like it was having a hard time getting fuel. What should I research or is this typical in hot weather and non-driving for a week?

8. There were 3 wire caddies? carriers? that I had to release to move the wiring harness so I could have enough slack to work on the splicing. I placed the wires back in them, but I don't know how to make them tight again. Whats the secret?
IMG_5044.jpg

Its on the right hand side in the middle. How does that close?

9. Just because I know that Aspen500 really gets off on looking at heatshrink butt splices:
IMG_5045.jpg

And one more from the splice queen
IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

Last edited:

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Two springs are for safety, if one fails, you still have one to keep the throttle closed.

The intermittent brake light can be from the parking brake being on or the proportioning valve having an internal failure. Simply disconnect the wire connector going to the proportioning valve, if the brake light comes on, it's a problem with the emergency brake switch.
If no light comes on, reconnect the wire connector to the prop valve.
If the piston in the prop valve slides to one side, you will have a brake light.
Simply hit the brake pedal EXTREMELY HARD to try and recenter the valve...
If that don't work, bleed the brakes.
If that don't work, MaMopar has a tool to hold the nipple out and bleed the brakes with the nipple pulled out.....
Vise grips can be used on this nipple.

Attachments

• PTDC0099.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 405

Justwondering

Reaction score
The bleeder rod is where I pushed that conical cap on.
Is that where it goes?

I'm thinking I just didn't get it on there correctly.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Drink up!!! Lol, the brake light connector should be placed on the "brake light warning switch"...lol

Justwondering

Reaction score
The pack rat had already chewed this off so I don't know where it came from. But after the heat today, I'd love to have a margarita.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Looking over your diagram again, it appears to be in the center on the top of the same manifold ..

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
First step, drink Margaritas, yes plural.
Second step, follow the two brake lines down from the master cylinder to your prop valve.

Step three, repeat step one.
Step four , place the wire connector on the brake light switch, located on the prop valve between the two brake lines, described above....
Step five, repeat steps one and three...

Justwondering

Reaction score
I dream someday of having more that 1 drink in a month.

But I've got to stay alert in case I have an unanticipated doctor run, so I'll have to leave the multiples up to you right now.

No wonder the light kept coming on... I had it in the wrong place. Will correct it when I pick it up unless he does it before then.

Thanks for the diagram!

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Splits brake fluid pressure front to rear. More PSI is needed upfront.
You're a doctor? Drink in moderation.
I however would live a Vodka IV drip, please and thank you!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ahh - keeps the pressure even between the front and back.

I r not a medical doctor, I take folks to the medical doctor.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These pictures are from my ’87 5th Ave.

There are two springs for carburetor, just in case one breaks, you have a backup. Having a carburetor that will not close when driving, can make a person need to change their underwear, real fast (car will be stuck in wide open throttle).

Your springs are not exactly in the correct spot, however. They go where the throttle cable attaches to the carburetor, in-between the two slats. The throttle cable is a different cable than your cruise control. The cruise control has a pivot on it so applying more gas (like to pass someone) won’t interfere with the cruise cable linkage. You might be able to get by with where it is located at, but it would be best to move the springs to correct location.
20160802_182252.jpg

Note: the Holley Lean Burn carburator has been replaced with a '77 Carter Non-Lean Burn model (but the Lean Burn computer doesn't know it yet) - so picture will look slightly different.
The throttle cable, cruise cable and transmission kickdown linkage is the same.

Pictures of my brake warning light wire.
20160802_182422.jpg
20160802_182333.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
What does the brake proportioning valve do?
Justwondering,
If you were to look in the brake section of your service manual, it does talk about that brake proportioning valve in more detail. It performs a number of things.

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW ...
caught me being lazy..
I was looking for the quick answer so I could go outside and strip the paint off a dresser and table. ...
I'll do some deep reading tonight.

So I must admit, I put that brake connector in the totally wrong place.
But you know, I won't make that mistake again.

Darth Car said he had only 1 spring on his 82 New Yorker. Does that mean he is missing one or was it different in 82.

I'll have to look more closely at the spring termination and move it where it belongs.

Do the springs look like they should be replaced? Gently tugging on the springs shows me one is stiffer than the other one. But maybe that's normal.

Long as I'm safe, I'm good.

Back