A904 Dipstick Tube Removal - 88 Fifth Avenue

GamblerSeanAZ

Reaction score
Greetings - How do I remove the dipstick tube on an A904? Engine/trans are out of the vehicle. I removed the bolt to the tether than bolts to the bellhousing. I lifted up on the tube, and it won't come out. Everything I've read says the tube should lift out. What am I missing? Does it secure from the inside of the pan/case? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

137276281_394164361684265_1975521687670001399_n.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
Wiggle it and it will come out. The o-ring has probably gotten hard from age.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Twist and pull. Don't put any force on the bracket, it can bend and tear off easy.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I will pray for your success GamblerSean ....

I was told the same thing on a 57 International harvester part and I eventually had to replace the broken parts. Course that is quite a bit older than your jalopy ... and it was a tractor which sat in the weather and was generally rode hard and put up wet.

lol
I'm sure you'll be fine.

JW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The housing is aluminum and the filler tube is steel. This is a case of typical dis-similar metal contact which causes corrosion.

Put a bead of rust penetrator on now and again after awhile. Light twisting of the tube (which is a two handed operation), will break the rust. Additional twisting and upward pulling will get the tube out.
It trick is not to strong arm anything and patience.

I have had to overhaul transmissions while leaving the tube in place, on heavily rusted tubes (and to avoid making any (more) potential time wasters). Most cases, a quick twist and pull is all you need.
BudW

Duke5A

Reaction score
Looks like it is out of the car. Sit on the trans, grab the filler tube with gloved hands at the bend and twist it back and forth while pulling straight up. It'll pop eventually. You'll most likely need a new seal when all is said and done.

Also, if you haven't yet, drain the transmission! The fill level actually sits higher than where tube sits in the trans. You'll be splashing around in a kiddy pool of ATF if you don't.

Back