Abandoned 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue “Project Daily”

Justwondering

Reaction score
And by the way ...
We are all VERY PROUD of your persistence and determination to get this mopar back on the road!
JW

volaredon

Reaction score
"title and plates $75". You suck.
I'm in Illinois. A sticker to renew plates is $151 a year. More than a month over and add $20 no matter "why".
My 01 Durango has sat since October with a dead tranny. Coincidentally that's the month my plates ran out. I'm about 2 weeks away from getting my trans parts. And that $171 will only be good til October again not a year from when I buy them.
I had to buy an 03 Durango so we could haul the grand kids and then farkers charged me $416 for license and title. If it was less than 10 years old and/or "worth" $15k+ that cost skyrockets. Damn they sure changed that since I last needed more than just a renewal
The politicians who came up with this scam should be thrown in prison and the key thrown away, the bars welded shut behind them for good measure.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
"title and plates $75". You suck.
I'm in Illinois. A sticker to renew plates is $151 a year. More than a month over and add $20 no matter "why".
My 01 Durango has sat since October with a dead tranny. Coincidentally that's the month my plates ran out. I'm about 2 weeks away from getting my trans parts. And that $171 will only be good til October again not a year from when I buy them.
I had to buy an 03 Durango so we could haul the grand kids and then farkers charged me $416 for license and title. If it was less than 10 years old and/or "worth" $15k+ that cost skyrockets. Damn they sure changed that since I last needed more than just a renewal
The politicians who came up with this scam should be thrown in prison and the key thrown away, the bars welded shut behind them for good measure.
Ha! Even NY isn't that bad! It's $50 for the title, then a plate fee if you're not transferring plates, and then registration based on cylinders and weight. Two year registration and it's less than $100 for passenger vehicles based on weight and number of cylinders. Passenger vehicle registration fees, use taxes and supplemental fees

This state used to be run very well and we still get to enjoy the perks of that intelligent planning. The DMV and the local county DMV offices always turn a huge profit. Oh and emissions is exempt for 95 and older, opening up 2 decades of cars that would never pass in California but would pass here

Duke5A

Reaction score
I can't get over how incredibly clean that is. I hate living in Michigan.

It looks great.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
I decided I wanted to put an actual stereo system in this car since I haven’t had a real system in a car for many years but had all of my old components from my last one.
I’m trying to put as little into the car as possible and had an idea to use my phone as a head unit in the car and keep everything looking stock. A seriously modest and simple stereo but I wanted to use the factory stereo for volume and sub level control.
I got a Bluetooth Legacy 3 way crossover to connect to my phone and used a In line volume “pot” and gutted the factory AM radio. I modified the factory knobs and mounted them to both so the volume knob is actually volume and the tuner knob is the subwoofer level control and I added a 3.5 jack as another source option because… Well, why not!

View attachment 52061

View attachment 52062
bluetooth mod for OEM radio?

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I've never seen corrosion that bad in the cooling system, even from cars that have sat many decades. My dad was big on keeping things preserved so he used very strong mixes of antifreeze to keep blocks from cracking and rusting. I guess being in Arizona the owner didn't use antifreeze but put straight water in.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have seen electrolysis in a newer Jeep water pump do that. It's not every day, but it can def happen

mopower76

Reaction score
It wasn’t so much a Mod as it was a Gutting of the factory radio and utilizing the volume and tuner knobs as volume and sub level controls.
It worked but I wanted actual CarPlay so I ditched it and just went with a cheap aftermarket single din “tablet style” unit instead.
It’s a Boss and like I said it was cheap, it works great and I used a Bluetooth wireless connector so it connects as soon as the car is started. The 8” screen is adjustable so it works well with the dash layout minus the steering wheel being in the way but it works! I needed to have Maps and be able to easily see it.
Convinces I wanted as it is my daily and it sounds great!
bluetooth mod for OEM radio?

mopower76

Reaction score
So she let me down and I had to have it towed home yesterday from work.
It was acting like it was just starving for fuel… And it was! I used a new but probably very old fuel filter I had sitting around for 10+ years that was original and correct for the car, bad mistake.
New fuel filter and it ran great! Now has a clear large filter so I can see what’s going on.
I took the opportunity to convert the car to HEI since I was wanting to eliminate the factory Lean Burn for reliability and longevity.
I do this on all my old Mopars and it always works fantastic!
I’m going to try using the LB distributer next time, I already had a small block dist converted and locked out so I dropped it in and went!
The LB dist has no vac advance mechanism so it could be a super simple and very effective HEI dist.

I was unsure how the factory LB carb would do without the computer but it’s working great so far!
Super smooth and Fantastic throttle response!

mopower76

Reaction score
I’m tackling the headliner and hoping to get the interior trim panels cleaned up and painted next.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
It wasn’t so much a Mod as it was a Gutting of the factory radio and utilizing the volume and tuner knobs as volume and sub level controls.
It worked but I wanted actual CarPlay so I ditched it and just went with a cheap aftermarket single din “tablet style” unit instead.
It’s a Boss and like I said it was cheap, it works great and I used a Bluetooth wireless connector so it connects as soon as the car is started. The 8” screen is adjustable so it works well with the dash layout minus the steering wheel being in the way but it works! I needed to have Maps and be able to easily see it.
Convinces I wanted as it is my daily and it sounds great!
been using a cig lighter adaptor for years now but it kind of sucks since i'd also like to get a dashcam. bluetooth modified Chrysler radios on ebay were like 100 bucks

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
been using a cig lighter adaptor for years now but it kind of sucks since i'd also like to get a dashcam. bluetooth modified Chrysler radios on ebay were like 100 bucks
Junkyard chrysler radio with a tape deck, tape deck adapter, and a device with an aux input, done

Camtron

Reaction score
Modified bluetooth Chrysler radios out of later ‘90s Jeeps with 3 band eq and cd/tape deck go for nearly $400 now on Evilbay.
I snagged a plain one for $40 at a yard, I don’t mind using a $15 Bluetooth transmitter in the cigarette lighter for the price, lol plus now I can scoop the mids for all my thrash metal.

Camtron

Reaction score
So she let me down and I had to have it towed home yesterday from work.
It was acting like it was just starving for fuel… And it was! I used a new but probably very old fuel filter I had sitting around for 10+ years that was original and correct for the car, bad mistake.
New fuel filter and it ran great! Now has a clear large filter so I can see what’s going on.
I took the opportunity to convert the car to HEI since I was wanting to eliminate the factory Lean Burn for reliability and longevity.
I do this on all my old Mopars and it always works fantastic!
I’m going to try using the LB distributer next time, I already had a small block dist converted and locked out so I dropped it in and went!
The LB dist has no vac advance mechanism so it could be a super simple and very effective HEI dist.

I was unsure how the factory LB carb would do without the computer but it’s working great so far!
Super smooth and Fantastic throttle response!
I’ve been left stranded in snow storm one time; Because of my own tinkering. When I installed my Blaster2 coil, I mounted it horizontal on the back of the intake manifold. Turns out, if you skim through the product warning information at the bottom on the Blaster 2 manual (not the installation instructions, that would make too much sense), they mention that the coil has to be mounted vertically to avoid exposing the coil from its oil bath and burning it out…live and learn.
I fortunately/unfortunately got my car with the lean burn already done and never got to experience a completely stock driving experience but, I’ve never heard anyone ever be disappointed with the results after doing the delete. Seems like the stock ignition is just as restrictive and limiting as any other stock component of the engine and upgrading it makes a pretty noticeable difference in acceleration, performance and fuel consumption. Almost like you’re getting a little more BANG for your buck and not spending as much time with your foot in the gas trying to get the car moving.

mopower76

Reaction score
And by the way ...
We are all VERY PROUD of your persistence and determination to get this mopar back on the road!
JW
Thanks SO much!! My wife says it’s a disease and I agree! Thankfully she’s good with old Mopar projects!
I can’t help myself and if there weren’t so many great ones out there waiting to get back on the road I’d keep each one!

They always get under my skin, each has a personality and I consider them friends… Yep, I have no life but my Mopars!

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Thanks SO much!! My wife says it’s a disease and I agree! Thankfully she’s good with old Mopar projects!
I can’t help myself and if there weren’t so many great ones out there waiting to get back on the road I’d keep each one!

They always get under my skin, each has a personality and I consider them friends… Yep, I have no life but my Mopars!
Looks like you have full blown Moparitis. There's no cure. You can only treat the symptoms by buying more Mopar

Back