Abandoned 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue “Project Daily”

mopower76

Reaction score
Aside from the stereo, I’ve converted the AC to R134 with new compressor oil, o rings and R134 refrigerant. I know you shouldn’t but I reused the original dryer and that AC Kicks Ass! 40° when it’s 102° like it is today!
I also finally replaced the shocks with KYB OE replacements and Oh Baby what a difference!!!
This Fifth now drives and rides like a brand new 1987!
I’ve been daily driving it on my commute, 30 miles each way Tues-Fri and it’s averaging 18MPG! No interstate, stop and go.
The HEI really woke it up! No Spark knock even with the AC blasting and always runs nice and cool, even on hot days 100°+.
Needless to say, I’m thrilled with how the vehicle is turning out.
I wrapped all of the pillar trim today, what a tedious PITA… But they turned out pretty good.
I was going to paint them black but couldn’t bring myself to do something I wouldn’t like and just regret later. So a trip to Hobby Lobby and 2 cans of 3M spray glue later they are finished! Now for the headliner… Headed back to Hobby Lobby for more material, it too almost 4 yards to cover all of the trim!

I’m wanting to get it finished up and ready to sell now that it’s a very nice, reliable and proven vehicle because as always something else followed me home from Tucson, Arizona!
And the process starts all over again!!

Unfortunately it’s not a F, M or J body so I’ll be posting progress in another forum.

It’s really going to be hard to let this one go, it’s such a nice car to drive!

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0741.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

Last edited:

mopower76

Reaction score
There’s nothing perfect about the job I did but it’s all covered! It looks nice and boy did it quiet it down inside! This is the first week driving it with all of the interior panels in it at all!
No squeeks or rattles, this must have been the factory engineers way of making the interior quiet (acts as sound deadening) and keeping hard plastics from rattling/rubbing. PITA but effective until it gets old and the foam layer and glue fail!
It’s definitely the wrong color grey but the interior has about 5 different shades of grey from the factory so what’s the hurt with one more tone!
I still need to source A Pillars to be truly finished but I’m not willing to pay $100 for a pair plus shipping and it’s good enough for me, for now. I’ll find a set priced what I believe to be fair eventually.
Oh yeah, I also am looking for a good dome light lens.

IMG_1781.jpeg

Back