WANTED Actively looking for the best FMJ I can find

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyB

Reaction score
Contact seller
I believe the prevailing thought around here is that most Ms aren't likely to crack five figures. Ditto most Fs and Js (except the high performance builds, AHBs, E58s and such). But while I believe Gateway Classics has ridiculous pricing (unless there's a Ring of Power in the glove box), I'm perfectly willing to recognize your sweat equity with my wallet.

7b54ce1372710434.png

Whattya got?

My faves: AHBs, Boat-tail Dips and LeBarons, performance builds and beefed up (FirmFeel/PST) suspensions; but most of all: no rust, solid #2 or #3 rides that need little or nothing to hit the road. Not terribly fond of Imps unless the fuel injection thorn has been plucked. Appreciate /6s, the venerable 318s, 360s equally, as long as they are uber-solid runners. Not looking to do anything but the most minor of body work. Automatics/manuals equally welcome. Tasteful (yeah, subjective) mods are okay. Not much into four-door or wagon Fs--but hey, float 'em on by, I'm grateful for whatever you pitch. Thanks!,
Marty

Last edited:

MartyB

Reaction score
Heck, if you have show-quality #1, I'd go over the five-figure mark for that!

I hope that doesn't sound snooty. I'm no rich guy. But I save my pennies, and I really need to, since I have no gear head skills. Just a good ol' fashioned RN.

Last edited:

Lightning II

Reaction score
Over on Farley's (dippy.org) there's a dude in CA that's got a bunch of AHB's for sale. You'll probably have to send him a PM to find out more.

EDIT: Also over at Wildcat Auto Wrecking near Portland,OR, there's a pair of AHB's that show a pending sale, one for $1400 and the other for $1600.

MartyB

Reaction score
Thanks, Lightning, but you know I did message that CA guy, and he's never responded...
Taking a guess that a wrecking yard find on the Left Coast would require too much shipping to make it worthwhile unless it were really cherry (in which case, it wouldn't be in a wrecking yard for $1,400).

Lightning II

Reaction score
it might take a bit for him to respond. He comes an goes. Keep saving your money, the right one will turn up sometime. I spent about 6 months or so looking for my current one.

MartyB

Reaction score
At the risk of boring you all, it occurred to me you may wonder what someone who does not work on cars himself is doing here. A small, quirky symphony of reasons. These care are the ugly ducklings (unless you count K cars) of the Mopar collectible world. I, myself, have ugly duckling elements in my life (just ask my wife). I am a Registered Nurse on a psychiatric unit--we psych pros call our units the red-headed step-children of hospitals.

In my heart of hearts, I'd drive a slab C body, In my wallet of wallets, I'd drive a Forward Look.

But as an RN, I'm mindful that a nine-year-old Toyota (blehhh) is far safer than any collectible car. While I resolutely hate modern "motor vehicle appliances," it seems to be sounder from a safety standpoint to drive an M over a A, B or C. Especially since I intend to daily drive it. My wallet agrees. It's hardly a rueful choice. While my aesthetic sense is C-body based, I do appreciate any and all rear-drive Mopars. It's what I grew up in as a back-seat child and a teen driver (my first car at 16 in 1975 was Grandma's '59 Savoy). Dad worked in Chrysler Design in the Exner years, doing the exhibit work for auto shows, so I bleed Mopar blue. He actually designed Ex's office!
Looking forward to seeing what comes to the table!

Last edited:

MartyB

Reaction score
Yup (on both counts). I have a photo of Ex's office if you want to see...

Duke5A

Reaction score
You're from Detroit? There was a guy in Saint Clair Shores I used to run into at the Harper Cruise that had an absolute cherry Diplomat with like an original 60k on the clock. Never winter driven. It's been a few years, but I could on a deep dive to find him if you want. He at least wanted to sell it back then.

MartyB

Reaction score
I think I know the one... cream with tan interior boat-tail? Would love to get a look!

Duke5A

Reaction score
Found him over on Dippy. Says he was last active on 2/1, so he still lurks around over there. I sent him a PM. If I don't get a reply in a week or so I'll try and find an email. Guy's handle is nmywj.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have several M's, F's and B's that are well under 10,000 original miles. Wouldn't sell. They are worth more to me than they are to the next guy. Just keep looking. Cars find you, not vice versa. The most recent of the F body AHB cars came my way when I followed a lead for some NOS parts. Parts leads often turn into cars.

Ele115

Reaction score
There are surprisingly quite a few good cars still out there.

MartyB

Reaction score
There are surprisingly quite a few good cars still out there.
A testament to the soundness of the designs and Chrysler engineering! I think Sam's wagon looks great. But if I recall his last post correctly, he seems to have plans to pull the four-speed and pop in an automatic. Maybe getting ready to go the BB route?

Ele115

Reaction score
I have found that these cars have been stored away indoors and driven very little. It amazes me when very low mile cars come up with everything being original. I would rather buy them than "restored" cars, or projects. They are well worth paying for.

singin sam

Reaction score
A testament to the soundness of the designs and Chrysler engineering! I think Sam's wagon looks great. But if I recall his last post correctly, he seems to have plans to pull the four-speed and pop in an automatic. Maybe getting ready to go the BB route?
NOPE<just don't want to shift(If I keep the car.)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can relate to what Sam is saying (but in the opposite direction).
Personally, I prefer to shift and one of my plans is to convert my wagon to a manual. I even considered talking to Sam about a possible trade – but OH is a too much of a drive from OK, so that idea fell to the wayside.

My wife can drive a stick, but prefers not to.

Sam, the clutch/brake petal setup, as well as the linkage from frame rail to transmission is worth saving. The linkage is a /6 (FMJ) item only.
BudW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back