WANTED Actively looking for the best FMJ I can find

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
So how did we go from looking for the best example of fmj and spending 5 figures, to this? lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
00p0p.jpg

I love the paint color! Has fender mounted turn signals. No rust in the usual places on fenders. Grill looks great. Has bumper guards. No cons in this photo.

00L0L.jpg

Still love that paint color. All trim seams to be in place and looks good. No roof rack – which is odd. Some people like roof racks, others don't. I'm not a fan of the window tint – but it does complement the paint color. Has aftermarket wheels – which is a pro or a con, depending on your tastes. Has a factory installed (and not dealer installed) radio antenna. No passenger side outside mirror – which is not uncommon. Passenger side mirrors didn't become more common place for about another 3-4 more years.

00O0O.jpg

Overall, a nice looking picture. No tailgate spoiler – which might not have been a thing in '76. The “chrome” plastic lock for back glass has faded, just like mine has. Up close, my glass lock looks crappy.

00U0U.jpg

someone lost the original gas cap. The original gas cap has extra trim on it. It is an F-body only gas cap – but they can be found.

00v0v.jpg

Drivers door mirror is remote (which is nice). My drivers door mirror is not remote). Same exact bench seat cover as mine. Overall, the interior looks very nice. The Left Front seat belt is not retracting – but that can be repaired. Not my favorite steering wheel – which can be changed – but finding one that color will be not easy.

I still want to see underhood and underneath pictures (especially just behind both front tires). A picture of the fender tag would be nice.
I doubt this car has a 727 in it. Not impossible but unlikely. I can't tell if car has A/C, or not.

So far, car looks to be in very nice shape and might be worth what is being asked for it.
If you got this vehicle, it will need to be kept in a garage to keep it nice.
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '81 Imperial looks very nice inside and outside - but was surprised to see the underhood area. It is just not to the same level as rest of the car is. I would be happy with the car, but would be more likely to drive the wagon instead (between those two choices) - but that is me.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The '83 Imperial doesn't seam to be all that it appears - but can only see the outside (so I'm shrugging my shoulders).

There is a lot to make a car more drivable:
Differential gears.
Torque converter stall speed.
Engine compression ratio.
Camshaft (too radical makes it less streetable).
Fuel injection (aftermarket).
The list goes on, and on. The important part is to get all of the parts to work together.

Some performance modifications performed can actually make the car less drivable – which means you are less likely to drive it.

The Magnum with a 4-speed might be a good combination – especially if they also used the factory (Magnum) fuel injection and changed the factory gear ratio.

My Fifth Ave has 2.2:1 differential gear ratio – which in of itself makes me less likely to drive the car. My '77 wagon has same exact powertrain, and weights in about the same total weight, but it has 2.9:1 gear ratio. It is much more fun to drive and it will do a circle around the Fifth Ave the first 100 feet or so. For city driving, a 3.07 or 3.21:1 is a better ratio. Highway, a 2.9 isn't to bad. With overdrive, a 3.5:1 would be super fun to drive
The Fifth Ave (318 2-bbl), you could put a brick on the accelerator petal in drive, then get out to to check the tire air pressures (kidding, of course, but you get my drift . . . I think)
BudW

MartyB

Reaction score
So how did we go from looking for the best example of fmj and spending 5 figures, to this? lol
If you'd read the initial post carefully, I said I would go as high as five figures but know enough about the FMJ market to know even solid examples rarely bring that kind of price. As much as I love them, I don't reckon there's a rank-and-file FMJ (that is, excluding E58s, AHBs, R/Ts and Super Coupes) that would approach $10k even if it was close to show condition. Paraphrasing Saul Goodman, "Unless there's $2,000 hooker in the back seat." I fully expect any $7-8 K ordinary FMJ to be in primo shape or it ain't worth the coin.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive read everything in the and really I dont think you know what you want and your a bit out of the loop on what to pay.

Anyone looking for the "best" fmj could easily do so on there own in a month, most could in a week by asking a few friends whos got the nice ones for sale. People know and people will respond to non tire kickers.

At your speed any good value will be gone while your still posting wishy washy things about whats acceptable and whats not.

Its pretty simple, spend a day on the web, you can find anything your looking for fmj wise, hook the trailer and go or wire the money and ship.

Why are you expecting others to do the work for you? Sorry to sound a bit harsh but dam this craps going on 4 months.

Are you even aware of some of the sales prices for nice cars in the past 12 months? Its not 1995 anymore.

MartyB

Reaction score
Well, I admit to being a bit miffed by that comment. I stated my price range, and for however much I don't know about cars, I do know it's not 1995. I also know (as you don't seem to) that no FMJ outside the specialty models I listed is realistically priced at $12k, even if it's a 100-point, #1 condition show car. I made plain I was looking for a "done" $6-12k car because with no mechanical skills and a small driveway, I want the best I can find. I turned to this forum because we have all served as spotters, myself included, so I'm not feeling as though I'm being lazy. And I do know what I want. This isn't the A, B, C or E bodies forum. It's not for Chevelles or GTOs. I simply said and mean I can appreciate a /6 more door Volare as much as I do a built AHB. So thanks for nothing

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Its all good, dont get mifffed, get to buying. I wont step on your dreams again but I will say... its been 18-20 days more and your still looking.

There are currently some great F bodies for sale if your really wanting one, on here and the AV site as well as nation wide CL searches. If I were in the market for another good F id not have to look far.

Non the less, hell if getting mad gets you in the seat sooner, get mad... but really good luck finding what fits your needs and dont take this crap to heart, they are just cars at the end of the day.

Well not hard to find at all.... was foolishly looking around 4 u and found one that caught my eye, wrote an email inquiry on a nice F I dont need. But if its still for sale I will buy it.

Last edited:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
1628562912514.png

I really like this color too, in my opinion, it is quite rare. I'm not sure what the name of this color was. The wagon itself looks very well preserved. I also like the window tint with this color, but never on the front windows.
No tailgate spoiler – which might not have been a thing in '76.
The tailgate air dam was available on the '76 F's. I have a couple spares in my "toybox", but not sure why. I also have a very nice roof rack, but I prefer OY without it, and don't want to drill holes in my roof. This wagon would look fantastic with the upgraded "Highlander" plaid seats and door panels.

LocuMob

Reaction score
@XfbodyX is right, the car is/was out there. I sell you mine for $6k, I'll even fix the little things that are wrong, and you'd still be getting a bargain. These cars aren't getting cheaper, I'm super stoked to have gotten my car at a very reasonable price. But if I sell, it will be listed over what I paid, because I know the market will back me up. I think for 8k you could have a very nice car, I've seen a couple creampuffs listed for $8700-9000 that I'd love to own. I haven't scoured the market for a while, I lucked into my car because I knew the owner and he wasn't looking to make a killing, but I could probably find a half dozen in a day that would for your criteria. If you're looking for perfection, you may never find it, I don't know how picky you are when you're standing in front of a car. But if you have the coin, you should be able to find a car realtively easily.

MartyB

Reaction score
@XfbodyX is right, the car is/was out there. I sell you mine for $6k, I'll even fix the little things that are wrong, and you'd still be getting a bargain. These cars aren't getting cheaper, I'm super stoked to have gotten my car at a very reasonable price. But if I sell, it will be listed over what I paid, because I know the market will back me up. I think for 8k you could have a very nice car, I've seen a couple creampuffs listed for $8700-9000 that I'd love to own. I haven't scoured the market for a while, I lucked into my car because I knew the owner and he wasn't looking to make a killing, but I could probably find a half dozen in a day that would for your criteria. If you're looking for perfection, you may never find it, I don't know how picky you are when you're standing in front of a car. But if you have the coin, you should be able to find a car realtively easily.
Looks very nice! I'm in Toulouse visiting relatives till the 20th (if not longer d/t Covid!). Will pm you when I return. Would love to hear more details when you get a chance.

LSM360

Reaction score
I don't understand some of the harsh comments to MartyB (mildly harsh anyway). I believe you wrote semi-retired? How many miles do you drive a week? And even if it's a lot if you want an FMJ for a daily driver then do it!!! You might grow tired of it after awhile but life is short!!! You can switch to something else down the road. Parts for 318's will be available forever and the other stuff you can slowly accumulate and sort of stock pile before you need it. Most of us do that! Under coat the car, keep it as dry as you can and enjoy it!!! They are for enjoying not for sealing up and protecting!!! The first Imperial you posted is a beauty but I really like that Aspen wagon too. Keep it Mopar, I say!

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Just to make up for the lost posts.... OP.... Short version of his posting... hes got a jacked up eyeball and cant drive, no longer looking. Meh! Stand down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back