Aftermarket floor shift options

brotherGood

Reaction score
Are there any good options for an aftermarket floor shift? I'd love buckets and console, but I really dont see that in my future.

Also, what all is needed for adding floor shift to a column shift car?

Thanks in advance

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Center consoles/shifters were installed in F and J-bodies, and in a few M 2-door cars. The ’84 Gran Fury police car I had, should have the same seats you have, and that car had plenty of space for a console. Finding a good complete FMJ console might be a bit fun but I do see them for sale from time to time – but that isn’t the question at hand.

If using factory parts – the linkages from transmission to the shifter is about the same on all ’66 and newer ABCEFMJ cars except for the shifter itself (which has a few variations over the years).
77 PM pg 21a-44a.JPG

From my '77 Parts Manual for F-body (above and below floorboard). Arrow is pointing front.
73 PM pg 21a-566b.JPG

From my '73 Parts Manual for A-body. Gold is a rough outline of transmission.
The issue is the interior shifter parts looks really odd without a console to cover said parts.

I know an A-body console will fit (as well as FMJ consoles).
I suspect the E-body and newer/older B-body consoles will as well – but not tried. I think the E and early '70's B-body console looks much better than the FMJ version – but that is just me (which all parts for are being re-popped, for).
BudW

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A '70-74 E-body / '71-74ish B-body console:
E Console a.jpg

E Console b.jpg

E Shifter.jpg

An older B-body shifter (for reference).
Console Shifter Linkage.jpg

About 2/3rd of the linkage (missing the transmission bracket, link to shift arm and its lever (and shifter)) and the welded in floor brackets inside (but can be screwed on).
BudW

Edit, I re-read your post. I have no experience with aftermarket shifters - but have retrofitted quite a few cars to factory console shifters - so can't comment further to your inquiry.

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Alright...so you asked for Aftermarket, and that's what I'm going to put in front of you. The other guys did an awesome job reviewing the factory/stock options!

I went down the path of B&M QuickSilver ratchet shifter. Love it!!! Now keep in mind that's my only experience with aftermarket shifters, so there are probably plenty of other nice and better shifters, but for me this was about putting something in the car that did not look "race car" like and had as little of an impact as possible.

Keep in mind I did this while my coupe was completely stripped down, so plenty of room to do anything I wanted. Carpet was out, I did drill a slightly oversized hole in the floor, after taking the photo I did actually go back to put an one of these rubber rings over the openning to prevent the shift cable from getting cut. I am also running a line-lock, so there is the wiring going to the T-handle.

So here we go, tried to put these in somewhat of an order from START to FINISH.

ratcher_shifter_1.jpg

ratcher_shifter_2.jpg

These next two show you the reverse layout of the shifting cable and the throttle kcikdown cable. The RED cable is the gear selection cable. The steel line anchored to the trans case is the kickdown cable.

ratcher_shifter_3.jpg

ratcher_shifter_4.jpg

ratcher_shifter_5.jpg

ratcher_shifter_final.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Alright...so you asked for Aftermarket, and that's what I'm going to put in front of you. The other guys did an awesome job reviewing the factory/stock options!

I went down the path of B&M QuickSilver ratchet shifter. Love it!!! Now keep in mind that's my only experience with aftermarket shifters, so there are probably plenty of other nice and better shifters, but for me this was about putting something in the car that did not look "race car" like and had as little of an impact as possible.

Keep in mind I did this while my coupe was completely stripped down, so plenty of room to do anything I wanted. Carpet was out, I did drill a slightly oversized hole in the floor, after taking the photo I did actually go back to put an one of these rubber rings over the openning to prevent the shift cable from getting cut. I am also running a line-lock, so there is the wiring going to the T-handle.

So here we go, tried to put these in somewhat of an order from START to FINISH.

View attachment 39541

View attachment 39542

These next two show you the reverse layout of the shifting cable and the throttle kcikdown cable. The RED cable is the gear selection cable. The steel line anchored to the trans case is the kickdown cable.

View attachment 39543

View attachment 39544

View attachment 39545

View attachment 39546
Well done

brotherGood

Reaction score
@M_Body_Coupe I didnt even think to look up your build on. I used to go back and just follow it all the time on Farleys.

With the list getting a little out of hand, I put this on the back burner for this year. Although, now that it looks like the Power Tour may be in jeopardy, I may revisit this.

When it gets back together, I'm going to drive it around and if I feel I'm going to pop it out of gear while driving, I may do a temporary fix in either pulling the selector lever out and straightening it a bit, or just shortening it and putting some serious padding around it.

I would eventually like to go to a floor shift setup though, so I'll keep this bookmarked.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...When it gets back together, I'm going to drive it around and if I feel I'm going to pop it out of gear while driving, I may do a temporary fix in either pulling the selector lever out and straightening it a bit, or just shortening it and putting some serious padding around it.

I would eventually like to go to a floor shift setup though, so I'll keep this bookmarked.

If you need any more details, specific photos, etc. just let me know. I've got the whole build of my coupe thoroughly documented, so there is a pile more info on this stuff.

The key thing to keep in mind here is that, as best as I can tell, the gear selection cable switch that is part of the B&M shifter install may require you to also go down the route of Lokar throttle cable. That is what I did, but since I did not start with a stock setup to start off with this really was a non-issue for me. I had a clean-slate type of a situation and since I was already looking to run a higher heigh intake manifold I knew I had to depart from the stock setups anyways.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Ive considered the cable route anyway.. but had the 4bbl linkage that (for the most part) fit the magnum intake without any issues. At that point, I didnt know what I'd be gaining by switching setups.

I'll have to go back and look at the Farley pages, now that I'm much deeper into this thing than I was back then..maybe I'll see something that'll now make sense (or now allow me to ask an intelligent question )

brotherGood

Reaction score
Still kinda on this a little. I guess there are two types of column shifters, so Im looking for the "other one" (see pics)

If I cannot track one down, I'll have to make the jump to the B&M as mentioned above. Ultimately, I'd prefer the floor shifter anyway, but my wallet says otherwise.

20200718_210927.jpg

20200718_210908.jpg

Disclaimer* sorry for the poor picture quality, its a screenshot of an old picture, cropped to show the necessary item.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Have you swapped in bucket seats yet? If not I hope you're Stretch Armstrong.

If you can't find a set of coupe seats that match you could always mount another passenger seat to the driver's tracks. Requires making some mounting adapters out of 1/8" angle iron. Not a big job really and comes out pretty good.

Got lucky enough to find another red leather 5A at the yard with a beautiful interior. I like how it turned out on mine.

20140706_213902.jpg

20140704_002809.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
Have you swapped in bucket seats yet? If not I hope you're Stretch Armstrong.

If you can't find a set of coupe seats that match you could always mount another passenger seat to the driver's tracks. Requires making some mounting adapters out of 1/8" angle iron. Not a big job really and comes out pretty good.

Got lucky enough to find another red leather 5A at the yard with a beautiful interior. I like how it turned out on mine.

View attachment 40832

View attachment 40833

View attachment 40834

Thats lumped into the "something stupid"

It's not that it's stupid, it's just that I'm not in the position to spend the extra cash at the moment, but its so freaking close Im tired of letting it sit and deteriorate

brotherGood

Reaction score
Just to update this..through the joys of networking I was able to get my hands on the "double bend" shift lever. After numerous headaches regarding the swap, its finally installed and there is plenty of room now.

Gotta track down a trans leak and give the car a bath..then it should be time to finally give it the thrashing it needs.

20200822_192329.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Know what it came out of by chance? I’ve had the thought of torching mine and bending a goose neck into it; would be nice to not have to do that, lol.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Maybe early Ms? Possibly magnums/Cordobas, something of the sorts.

I couldn't narrow it down, so I called for help..ha

Back