Air gap intake and hood clearance on M-body

brucellosis

Reaction score
I have a 1984 Gran Fury AHB and I'm planning on dropping in a 5.9 Magnum. I have the Speedmaster air gap intake (bought it last year with their Black Friday sale) and an AVS2 carb. Will there be an issue with hood clearance? Will I need a drop base filter or will my original air filter housing work? I'm planning to remove the hood insulation because it's torn up. I don't want to cut out any hood bracing. It wouldn't be the end of the world I suppose, but I'm hoping I don't have to go with a Performer style or the original 4-barrel intake.

Camtron

Reaction score
Will be fine. I have a 5.9mag and airgap in my M.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
So the clearance is party driven by the sizing of your air filter, as well as the shape of the air filter assembly.

I ended up running a drop-base 16" diameter setup (WIX filter) because I needed extra room for the square to spread-bore adapter on top of my Performer RPM intake where my Carter TQ sits.

Let me know if you need part numbers, but again, these are going to be pretty specific to your combination.

CLEARANCE_TO_HOOD.jpg

CLEARANCE_TO_HOOD_full.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
carb and intake are both square bore. Clearance won’t be an issue. F@“?ing send it.

brucellosis

Reaction score
So the clearance is party driven by the sizing of your air filter, as well as the shape of the air filter assembly.

I ended up running a drop-base 16" diameter setup (WIX filter) because I needed extra room for the square to spread-bore adapter on top of my Performer RPM intake where my Carter TQ sits.

Let me know if you need part numbers, but again, these are going to be pretty specific to your combination.

View attachment 50712

View attachment 50713
Thanks for the info. Appreciate you adding pictures. Super clean engine bay - looks really nice. I like how you checked clearance.

Back