Ampmeter -

Millmech

Reaction score
1977 Aspen 318 - Ampmeter needle has not moved ever, except when I tried it direct to 12v. Is there a way to get it to do something? Do they all do/not do this? Thanks -

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've seen some that move but but every M that I've ever had the needle stayed pretty much in the middle even tho everything else was working properly.

Aspen500

Reaction score
In most cases the amp gauge will stay centered, provided everything is working as it should. If the battery is good and the alternator and regulator are functioning correctly, the battery won't be either charging or discharging. The car runs on the battery, the alternator is only there to maintain the battery voltage. The ammeter isn't showing amps output, only charge/discharge. It's kind of a useless gauge IMO. A voltmeter would be a lot more useful. As long as the voltage is good, the amperage is good and the actual amp output of the alternator is irrelevant. The biggest destroyer of an alternator is driving around with a weak battery. The battery will be charging constantly, making the alternator work overtime until it wears itself out. That's why replacement alternators always have a note in the box saying "The alternator is a battery maintainer, NOT a battery charger". Yeah, off topic a bit, sorry.:oops:

Back