Annoying Tone

TheTattooer

Reaction score
I have an annoying tone that sounds when the car gets warmed up. It goes away when the gas pedal is accelerated...sounds like its coming from the column or near the gauge cluster. Anyone have an 88 GF with the same issues?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
WAG (Wild Assed Guess): Does that year of GF have vacuum controls for the air conditioning/heater? Could you be hearing a leak, and then when you hit the gas, the vacuum drops, so it stops leaking air?

Just glad you weren't complaining about somebody's posting style/language/attitude.

Last edited:

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
...Just glad you weren't complaining about somebody's posting style/language/attitude.

Same!

Check your vacuum hoses under the dash like kk suggested. I had a noise that sounded like a mutilated calf coming from my radio area. It's was haunting and at least a little annoying. Had to remove some plastic from the connector and tape it together with electrical tape because it was disintegrating. Problem solved. It only took like 3 days to track it down!!

Aspen500

Reaction score
Agree. If it goes away on acceleration, good chance it's vacuum related.
Stupid question form an F-body guy here, does it have an automatic parking brake release? (Did M-body ever have that?) I only ask because I used to be a Ford tech and replaced a lot of the vacuum switches on the column that release the parking brake when you shift into gear, for a similar complaint.

NoCar340

Reaction score
99.9% chance it's vacuum leak at, or involved with, the HVAC controls.

Vacuum sucks. ;)

Master M

Reaction score
I have an annoying tone that sounds when the car gets warmed up. It goes away when the gas pedal is accelerated...sounds like its coming from the column or near the gauge cluster. Anyone have an 88 GF with the same issues?
I would check the vacuum check valve for the HVAC.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Agree. If it goes away on acceleration, good chance it's vacuum related.
Stupid question form an F-body guy here, does it have an automatic parking brake release? (Did M-body ever have that?) I only ask because I used to be a Ford tech and replaced a lot of the vacuum switches on the column that release the parking brake when you shift into gear, for a similar complaint.

No Sir.
Good old push pedal with handle release.

Back