Anodized Trim

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the best way to shine up all the anodized aluminum trim. (windshield, rear window, etc. Or do I just have to bite the bullet and get it all chromed?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can buff it all out. i know i gotta try n buff it out for my 5th ave

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can buff it all out. i know i gotta try n buff it out for my 5th ave

I haven't come up with anything really. Chrome/aluminum polish doesn't work. Before a show sometimes I wipe it with tire shine. Works in a jif. Doesn't last though.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Remember the key phrase....anodized....go on it easy. Buffing will strip it off very easy.

Exactly. No abrasives. That's why I'm asking. The only real polish I found that doesn't have abrasives is Nevr-dull. It's great on chrome and stainless but doesn't really do jack for anodized. I'll check out the flitz like Doc suggested but my hunch is ultimately you gotta get it re-done. If it's already been buffed to hell.

Last edited:

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
There's not a whole lot you can do to shine up anodized aluminum. The cheapest thing (besides leaving it alone) would be to strip it with chemicals (Eastwood) then polish or brush it and clear it. It won't last forever, but custom anodizing is expensive.
All anodizing is is a controlled corrosion, it works kinda like a vaccine. A small amount of controlled corrosion protects the piece from big-time killer corrosion.
You might try Brasso or something similar, but I think it'll mostly just be frustrating.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Check out the Flitz site, read the 'testimonials'. There's talk about restoring anodized aluminum on old cars.

I'm gonna try the #000 steel wool and Flitz trick on a old pc and see how that works.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Check out the Flitz site, read the 'testimonials'. There's talk about restoring anodized aluminum on old cars.

I'm gonna try the #000 steel wool and Flitz trick on a old pc and see how that works.

Keep me posted on how that goes will ya Doc? I have to do a pile of stuff on the Caravelle.
Thanks.

volarerob

Reaction score
I did a write up on this topic on another site a long time ago, but it still works just fine and once polished it's much easier to get it to shine again & again. I have heard that oven cleaner will strip the coating off to, but never tried it. Below is the original write up...

Restoring your trim. Many of us would like to have as many new parts as we can but if you can't find them or can't afford them here is another option for at least the trim.

First you need to ether find a straight and non damaged part or one with the least amount of damage you can. If all you have are dented & dinged then you will have to tap those out very carefully. You do not have to have special tools to fix small dents and dings. A flat head screw driver, a hammer, and a shop rag are normally all you will need for most repairs. Always put the trim on the shop rag (not on your work bench) you don't want to pound new dents into the trim from imperfections on your work bench. Tap out the ding & dents very carefully the trim is thin it doesn't take much to pound out most dings. Then you need to take the top coating off of the trim. There are two ways that I found work very well one is sand blasting it off or a fine wire wheel. Both work just fine, I don't really have a preference.

My home made blasting cabinet.
Blastingcabinet1.jpg

Insidecabinet2.jpg

Squirrel fan venting (works great)
Vent3.jpg

SquirrelFanVent4.jpg

Or a bench grinder with a wire wheel
wirewheel8.jpg

Tools needed.
TrimTools5.jpg

cleaningpolishingcompound8.jpg

Wire stripped
wirestripping9.jpg

wirestrippedtrim11.jpg

& sand blasted

blastsripping14.jpg

blaststripped15.jpg

Any scratches or heavy dings that did not tap out will have to be sanded out or at least down to as small as possible. I recommend hand sanding, power sanders are to aggressive for the thin trim. If there are scratches and dings I would start with 180 grit & if its smooth (no scratches or dings) start with 220 grit and then work your way up to 2000 grit.
handsandedupto600grit16.jpg

handsandedupto2000grit17.jpg

Now it is time to use a cleaning compound on the trim. You should not mix compounds on the same wheels so I recommend marking your wheels so you know what to use for later projects.
lablewheels18.jpg

cleaningcompound19.jpg

Start cleaning the trim by moving it around the wheel, do not stay in one place to long and keep a firm hold onto the part.

cleaningcompound21.jpg

You will start to see a shine start to appear on it, keep going until the whole part looks the same.

halfcleaned22.jpg

fullycleaned23.jpg

Then you will need to wipe it down and clean off all the compound so you don't contaminate your next wheel.
wipedown24.jpg

Now put on the polishing wheel, coat the wheel with a high gloss compound and repeat just like you did for the cleaning compound.
polishingwheelcompound25.jpg

polishing26.jpg

when you think your done take a chrome or metal polish and wipe down the part if you see foggy or milky looking spots put more polish compound on the wheel and keep going you may have to repeat this a few times until you get to your desired shine.
wipedownwithcleanerpolish27.jpg

alldone28.jpg

alldone29.jpg

Hope this helps.
thumb.gif

Erics5th

Reaction score
Sweet. Now I have an excuse to get a bench grinder! :eusa_dance: My wheel well trim is sand blasted and need to fix them.

Back