Another oddball question-What temporary spare for a Mirada?

80mirada

Reaction score
Some newer scissor jacks do not have enough lift to get the wheel off the ground on FMJ cars. LH cars have tons of wheel travel and needed a taller jack. Minivans sat higher than most cars so the also got jacks with more lift. LX car Jacks (Charger, Challenger,300 and Magnum) should have enough lift travel to work.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I never understood bumper jacks. First they do bad things to the bumpers like bend, twist and scratch, and second, you have to jack the car up so high to get the tire off on that skinny post that's stuck into a tiny little base. I still have the original bumper jack for my car. The thought of sticking that thing in those jack slots and raising the car that way make me cringe. The best way is a scissors jack or one of the bottle type jacks from a pickup (either one with some sort of urethane pad on the contact point) and raise the wheel on the suspension. I mean, jack under the rear axle or lower control arm. That way, it's much more stable and no need to have the body 6 feet in the air.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Scissor style jacks are one of the better improvements they made over the years.

The thing that gets me, is when Dodge/Plymouth made the Daytona Charger/Superbird, they installed two bumper jacks for those cars. A scissor style for front and bumper style for rear.
69 Charger Daytona.jpg
1970 Superbird 1.jpg
1970 Superbird 2.jpg

I would have thought that all ’71 model year cars would have had scissor style jacks in them, then.

Mr C

Reaction score
Scissor style jacks are one of the better improvements they made over the years.

The thing that gets me, is when Dodge/Plymouth made the Daytona Charger/Superbird, they installed two bumper jacks for those cars. A scissor style for front and bumper style for rear.
View attachment 15874 View attachment 15875 View attachment 15876

I would have thought that all ’71 model year cars would have had scissor style jacks in them, then.

Superbirds/Daytonas have no front bumper for the (at the time) conventional bumper jack, hence the scissor jack. The 71s had no exotic noses and could use the "normal" bumper jack.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My thought was “they should have seen how much safer a scissor jack is”, by then.

If I had either car (not gonna happen) and if these cars were built with bumper jack slots in nose cone (they didn’t), and I had a flat to change, I wouldn’t use one on the front of these cars anyway. The nose cone costs as much as my house does.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I understand the safety thought on the scissor jack, but I swear at them every time I have to use one. They move all over the place while you are cranking on them, on your hands, and knees, before they make contact with the body; and when they get high enough to get the wheel off the ground, they look very unstable.

Now a bumper jack can be easily used by a person standing erect, and at a safe distance from the elevating car. Plus with a more ergonomic, easy up, and down action, the tool does the heavy lifting. From my perspective, I know there is risk with anything, so give me a real bumper jack. It is a tool, and a scissor jack is a toy, in comparison.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand the safety thought on the scissor jack, but I swear at them every time I have to use one. They move all over the place while you are cranking on them, on your hands, and knees, before they make contact with the body;
I can agree with that.

I always get the feeling of the bumper jack being unstable, instead of the other way around, when car is in up position (in my opinion). It might just be me.

Now, I have used a scissor jack for many purposes, not necessarily for tire changing . . .

Justwondering

Reaction score
Honestly, I've used bottle jacks more often than scissor jacks. Both make me nervous. Car always seems tipsy on either one.
But, I've never had either fail.
All flats were changed with no damage to the car.
But to Brian's point, crawling in the dirt to use the jacks is annoying.

mirada80

Reaction score
I had the full size spare in my Mirada, (still have it stored away, Goodyear Poly), have a compact spare that I kept from my '88 Fifth Ave. Don't over look the later M bodies for the compact spare.

Back