Another RaceTrack closing down, EnglishTown

volare 77

Reaction score
Sad, I always got a nostalgic feeling when I entered that track unlike many others I have been to.

volare 77

Reaction score
I read they were going to rent a portion of the track to a auto auction company. Dunno. They must have ran the numbers and it must make sense to them.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Iowa track's are still going strong, knock knock knock.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sad. I shatter my driverside axle there on Mopar 2016 E town. Low elevation made some power I did not expect. Never got to re run since the 8 3/4 swap happened in the fall of 2017
Englishtown cover.jpg

Charrlie_S

Reaction score
I wonder how much the local noise laws contributed. Years ago, that was a big issue. Raced there many times.
Wonder what NHRA is going to do about the Summer Nationals?

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Closest we have here is Wisconsin International Raceway over in Kaukauna. It's 100 miles away though :( There is one in the western part of the state, I think it's called Rock Falls Raceway or something like that. Also 100+ miles away. Only other one I'm aware of is Union Grove down in the Milwaukee area somewhere but it's at least 200 miles away.

I vaguely remember being at the "Last Drag Race" at Lions dragstrip back in '72(?) That was a year or two before we GTFO of California. I was only about 8 years old at the time but do remember we left about 1/2 way through because it was getting way out of hand. Lions was shut down by corrupt local government basically. They cited noise complaints as the reason they were revoking the lease agreement with the track but that turned out to be total b.s.

volare 77

Reaction score
From what I read the government, locals and complaints had nothing to do with them closing. It is what rules the country today. MONEY. Along with poor attendance and insurance costs which I`m sure had a lot to do with it. Copart made them a offer they couldn`t refuse to lease the track for millions over a long period of time.

Back