Any Cam installation videos or guidance

slant6billy

Reaction score
The last time I put a Cam in my dad was around. My memory is bad, but I remember pulling valve covers and that's it! That part of my brain is gone. I remember cleaning the rockers, checking the pushrods for trueness, and pulling out the lifters. I just don't remember lifting the rocker shaft off and other parts. A good video would be a nice refresh if anyone has one or knows of one for a smallblock mopar.

ramenth

Reaction score
In car or out?

In car, drain coolant, remove radiator, take off valve covers and intake. Roll to TDC. Don't have to take off the rocker shafts, just need to loosen them enough to take the push rods out. Lift the distributor enough to disengage the gear. Of course, the front of the engine needs to come apart, but things like power steering don't need to be unhooked, just moved over to the side after it's unbolted.

You might have to take the hood latch support off to allow clearance to get it out and some cars you might have to remove the grille, not sure on the F-body. Take out lifters, pull cam. Install is the reverse of removal. While you're doing this it's a good time to degree it in. If you don't have a degree wheel, go here, follow the links, and print one off. You'll need a dial indicator for this.

I'm sure there are a few steps that I've left out that the rest of the membership will step up and fill in the blanks on.

ramenth

Reaction score
Oh, and make sure you use plenty of cam break in lube on each lobe. When you fire it off, make sure it fires immediately. Run to 2500 r's for ten minutes, back off to 1500 for ten, run back up to 2500 for ten. Cam is broke in. (Times may vary... my old man runs it to 2500 for for ten, 1500 for five, back to 2500 for another five ten.)

slant6billy

Reaction score
Oh, and make sure you use plenty of cam break in lube on each lobe. When you fire it off, make sure it fires immediately. Run to 2500 r's for ten minutes, back off to 1500 for ten, run back up to 2500 for ten. Cam is broke in. (Times may vary... my old man runs it to 2500 for for ten, 1500 for five, back to 2500 for another five ten.)

Thanks brother. Engine is most likely going to be on the stand. Since it is all ready a roller cam engine....... dunt dunt dahh.... retro roller cam with some bigger bumps on it.

Back