Any interest in a 1978 complete 440....It has 78,000 miles and turns over easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Contact seller
:toothy5: I have a complete 1978 440 with 78,000 miles on it. Most likely a cast crank and external balanced. Until 1974 they came with a forged crank and six pack rods. I want 400 buckeroos for the whole sh$t and combang. I can take off some off the accessories and exhaust manifolds to save on the weight. I can strap it and for a small fee take it to the trucking company of your choice. Find you LTL shipping quote from 77375.

Read this article from 440 Source. This block may have more support in the main bearing areas.

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Interest?.....plenty.
Dough to buy it and pay the shipping to where I am?.....nope.
Sounds like a sweet deal for someone closer though.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Shipping to the USA should not be more than 200 bucks via LTL freight. It weighs 870 lbs as it sits. Take off some of the not needed parts can drop it to less than 750. I can deliver within 100 miles for gas money.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Sorry if this is out of line.

is. 870lbs the weight of the engine itself, or does that include some weight allowance for the pallet? What us the weight of a small block (LA 318/360)?

Kostas

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry if this is out of line.

is. 870lbs the weight of the engine itself, or does that include some weight allowance for the pallet? What us the weight of a small block (LA 318/360)?

Kostas
It's not out of line. With all the stuff on there it weighs just as I said.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Quite a bit of weight to consider. Just had some younger local mopar guys buy some parts from me yesterday. They asked about a local 72 Duster with a 440. They guy selling was a tough one. He is holding at 3700. Now, as fun as a 440 duster would be, I cautioned these eager moparites of the power to weight difference with a bigblock. As well, the weight more forward on the car. The car needed floor pans and a trunk- also the front seats are not mopar. For the amount of work needed to make that car just streetable would cut 1200 off the price. These bigblocks done right and setup right in the car are pure fun. I emphasize "Done right" so that a 440 powered uncontrollable missile is not unleased on the street. I just rattled off the need to upgrade to the 5 by 4.5 bolt / disk brake and other frame help to ensure that 440, but still would rather a smallblock 340 duster anyday for daily driving. That is a good price Eric has. I sold my last bigblock in lesser condition for 600.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I was thinking about the possibility of a big block swap into a Mirada. I figure that a completely dressed small block is about 550-600lbs. I think aluminum heads (50 lbs weight reduction each), and an aluminum intake w/headers should be another 20-30 lbs. It won't be the same weight, but the difference should be down to 100-150 lbs. That should be workable with subframe connectors, large disk brake caliper adaptors, reinforced upper &lower control arms, poly suspension bushings, larger diameter tie rod ends, and increased diameter sway bars and maybe even torsion bars. Does anybody know if it is possible to retain air conditioning, power steering, and power brakes with a big block in a J body? I know about changing the brake booster to a K car one.

Kostas

Last edited:

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I was thinking about the possibility of a big block swap into a Miranda. I figure that a completely dressed small block is about 550-600lbs. I think aluminum heads (50 lbs weight reduction each), and an aluminum intake w/headers should be another 20-30 lbs. It won't be the same weight, but the difference should be down to 100-150 lbs. That should be workable with subframe connectors, large disk brake caliper adaptors, reinforced upper &lower control arms, poly suspension bushings, larger diameter tie rod ends, and increased diameter sway bars and maybe even torsion bars. Does anybody know if it is possible to retain air conditioning, power steering, and power brakes with a big block in a J body? I know about changing the brake boosterbto a K car one.

Kostas
big block with a/c, ps, pb?? yes yes and yes. I just shipped a performer rpm and it weighed 21.1 lbs including the bx and packing matls.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Maybe even relocate the battery to the trunk. Save 20-30 lbs there. zTge car the Big Blocknwoukd be going into is a 318 2 bbl. anyway. Just trying tinwork it out so I'm not going to create an unfdriveable monster, having it work (in terms of handling/braking/ride) as the factory car would be the goal.

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
It's a cast crank. The dampener is a dead giveaway. No matter since the cast piece is pretty damned stout. Obviously it came out of a motorhome... the spark-plug torque decal is a dead giveaway. :D

If you can find this copy of Mopar Action, it's got the most-complete article I've seen on the F/M/J big-block swap. I have this issue, tattered & worn. If there's enough interest, I could get in touch with E-Booger and get permission to scan & post it on this site. The only problem there, of course, is that I haven't got a scanner. In fact, I don't think I know anyone with one anymore.

I could also make copies for anyone that needs them. Cover the postage and add a little if you want it laminated (I do this with a lot of information and articles, and keep them in 3-ring binders).

http://www.moparaction.com/Next/history/june1992.html

Last edited:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
It lost some weight this weekend. Water pump was locked up and the pulleys were too far gone some they were taken off. Exhaust manifold weighed a ton and one was in two pieces. Still nice and sealed and ready for shipment.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
No love for a big block motor? Moving it to fleebag this weekend. 350 as it sits or 250 for just the block.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I imagine it's the prospect of shipping costs that's keeping enthusiasm low. A friend of mine scrapped four 440s (two were steel crank engines) and seven 400s a couple of years back... Craigslist, eBag, forums, you name it. No love whatsoever because he's not in or near a major population area. It really sucks, but you can't sit on the stuff forever, y'know? I hope you have better luck than he did; they don't make this stuff anymore--at least not at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back