Anybody else have Coker American Classic Whitewalls

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
I just replaced my tires with these, as they have a 1.3" Whitewall, the same as when the car was new. I was happy when they arrived. They look good, and were all manufactured in June 2016. But they are slightly out of round. My mechanic has balanced them twice. With my old tires, 80 MPH was smooth. Now, anything over 55MPH, and the car shakes all over. I will call Summit tomorrow.But the car's about to go into winter storage.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sometimes standard dynamic balancing doesn't get rid of a vibration. Even though the tire/wheel is perfectly balanced, you can get a vibration caused by the belts, cords, and/or tread rubber. I've fixed quite a few tire/wheel caused vibrations in the past by doing a road force balance. Takes a special balancer that not all shops have (mine included) that runs a big drum against the tire to simulate the load of the car driving down the road. It may tell you to rotate the tire a certain number of degrees on the rim and then of course, you add the weights as usual. It's called match mounting when it has you reindex the tire on the rim. Gets the high point of the tire (they all have a high point no matter what price range) to be opposite of the high point of the rim.

If you did a road force balance and then spun the same wheel for a dynamic balance, the machine would show it being out of balance and you need different weight in a different spot.

It's amazing how doing road force balance on tires that have no noticeable vibration and drive the car again. Then you realize it really did have a vibration, just that no one could feel it,,,,,,,,,,,,,until it's gone.

Might be worth a try.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Summit said they would replace the tires. But perhaps I'll try to find a road force balance machine, first. After driving for two days, the tires seem to be improving! Thanks Aspen500.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Tires do have to "break in". They sort of relax a bit and the bead finds it's neutral point on the rim. It's kind of like getting a new belt (accy drive belt I mean). When first taken out of the sleeve, it stays the same shape until it's run a while on the engine.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
As soon as my car is out of the shop, due to electrical issues, it will be going to a shop with a Hunter road force balancer. Thanks Aspen500. Coker Tire has asked me to do the same, to locate the bad tire.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Sometimes a tire can't be made to not vibrate even with road force balancing but, as you mentioned, it'll let you know which tire (or tires) need to be replaced. The machine will give you proof also, in the form of a printout.

Not really the problem you're having, however,,,,,,road force balancing can also be used to find a bad rim fairly quickly. As part of the procedure you run a wheel along both lips of the rim and the machine calculates runout and out of round.
Once you get 4 wheels and tires match mounted and road force balanced, it's amazing how smooth it is.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Well I've got my information. One of the five tires is bad. Four of the rims are acceptable[ not perfect] And the fifth rim is only so-so. Hopefully it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, and I can run the car on the highway.

Yellowdart69

Reaction score
Still rainy, and still lots of traffic, but cruising at 75mph, was fine today. They are replacing the one tire. All is good. Except the weather.

Back