Anybody Else Use "Vintage" License Plates?

Ele115

Reaction score
I keep most cars a very long time, but with vintage cars there are times when someone offers you a heck of a lot of money and that makes it possible to bring something else into the collection. I just don't get attached to a particular license plate but some cars are keepers for life. I thought my 68 Charger was but there was a guy who kept offering more and more money and finally it was enough for me to let it go. The other thing is that the Florida "Antique" plate is actually ugly. It's just a turquoise tag. And I see them on 1980's mustangs, rust box pickups and donk caprices daily so they lose their appeal.

volare 77

Reaction score
I bought a Bicentennial tag for my 77. I plan on putting this on my car one day.

ah so.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
Florida has about 100 different license plates. Most look like Pabl Picasso want off his meds

volare 77

Reaction score
Maryland allows the use of old plates but you need to keep the issued plates with the car and the old plate number needs to be registered to the new plates.

Fuzz

Reaction score
My state (OR) allows for the use of vintage lic plates on "Special Interest" vehicles so I always end up doing some ebay scrounging looking for a correct-year plate. "SP" (special purpose) registration also does away with the (stupid, imo) requirement for a front plate.
I just bought a blue-on-gold 1979 tagged plate for Charlene, my 79 Lebaron and wondered if anybody else bothered with this little detail, or if I'm just a noodge.

BTW, good-looking old plates can be had for about 10 bucks or less, restored plates are obviously higher. The '76 plates on my truck were $15 for the pair (only needed one so I used the better one) and this one was $9.99 shipped. Pretty cheap detail and a fun conversation starter.

View attachment 29854

Similar here in Michigan, called "Authentic" -- have to mail picture of plate (plate must have correct year sticker if it was a sticker plate), proof of insurance to Lansing Sec. of State, a check for 35$, and vehicle is registered for as long as you own the car.
You could also go with the "Historic" plate, where you send proof of insurance and 30$ to Lansing and they mail you the special state made 10yr plate which has the expiration year stamped in.

Fuzz

Reaction score
I looked into hobbyist plates for my 5th and the restrictions were nuts. Using regular plates here in Michigan.

Yea, can't use them as daily drivers...*BUT*, you can usually have a good excuse/reason--taking out for repairs or showing for a possible sale...
My 67 Skylark went on many repair trips last year!

Fuzz

Reaction score
Only draw back is you lose those old plates.
They wouldn't let me keep mine 202-BKY.

They won't say it, but it's about the new plates being reflective for tolls/photo radar.

Michigan rules says the plates belong to the state and must be returned to Sec. of State, but in 40yrs I've never-ever never-never-ever seen any returned, and I've still got most of my old plates!
Even now with the State making you replace your regular plate every 10yrs (because they're cheap and the paint peels off), they NEVER expect or ask for the plate back. I told them the plate on my old beater truck was perfectly fine but they made me replace it anyway, so that gave me ANOTHER nice plate to hang on the wall!
...by the way, I collect old plates...

volare 77

Reaction score
It`s mandatory to return plates in MD. They stopped letting you keep your plates long ago. I guess you could say you lost them??? Don`t know. If not returned you will get a penalized $150 plus $7 a day.

Fuzz

Reaction score
It`s mandatory to return plates in MD. They stopped letting you keep your plates long ago. I guess you could say you lost them??? Don`t know. If not returned you will get a penalized $150 plus $7 a day.

WOW!! ...it might be best to just say they got stolen!

Ele115

Reaction score
We can do the "year by year" plates here too but Flo-Duh went to the hanging sausage type in about 76 so they were all the same after that. I have a friend in China that makes all kinds of different old "vintage" USA plates. Restaurants and bars apparently buy them for decor. He was trying to get me to import them. I'll take a pass on that

Aspen500

Reaction score
Only restriction on "Hobbyist" in Wisconsin is they aren't valid during the month of January. "Collector" plates are the same. You have to send photos of the car with the application also, 3/4 view, engine compartment and interior. One time cost (About $210 I think it is) and good until the end of time AND if you sell the car, you keep the plates and can put them on another car that qualifies. Not sure what the cost on that is though. Collector is intended for mostly stock vehicles and Hobbyist is for modified. Far as I know, you can't use "Vintage" plates of any kind.

Back