Anybody got 2 Grand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Pretty spectacular find. Sure look factory fresh.

Pricing is pretty spectacular, too, but not in a good way. I understand seller has a unique item, but as unique as it is, doesn't do them a speck of good if nobody buys them due to the pricing being so high.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't know,,, for perfect, NOS, never mounted, CMX wheels with NOS domes and caps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$2,000 isn't really that bad. Figure $500 each and it seems pretty reasonable given that the chances of there being any more out there are slim to none. Before you beat me up, I couldn't afford them either :(

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I don't know,,, for perfect, NOS, never mounted, CMX wheels with NOS domes and caps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$2,000 isn't really that bad. Figure $500 each and it seems pretty reasonable given that the chances of there being any more out there are slim to none. Before you beat me up, I couldn't afford them either :(

I totally agree with this.
Realistically a set of those stupid Gomer rims you see on new cars are easily $500 a piece.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
You can find 10 spokes, with centers and domes for a lot less. All it takes is a little bit of work to get them looking nice. Granted, they won't be NOS, but neitiher will these wheels when they are put on a car and driven around (I suppose you could just buy them and look at them). Even the other 10 spokes that are out there were factory fresh at one point, and look at what they look like now.

For that $2K, you could get a set of Motech 17" alloys, and a really nice set of tires, and still have $800-1000 for other parts/restoration/maintenace items. Even a really good set of used 10 spokes (~$500-600), with some work would be pretty good, and will still leave a lot of money on the table.

I guess what I am saying, is that if you have a car that will be done to "concours" standard, the sort of thing where every paint brush stroke on the chassis is being checked for colour and direction, I can see getting these wheels. That would, to me, bring up the question of whether this is something that is being done wiith F, M, J (Y) cars, either now or in the future? The question that would follow almost immediately, in my own mind, is "Wouldn't you prefer to drive the car, not just look at it?"

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Personally I'd never buy them.
When I see $2000 for a set of rims my first thought is "do I get a car with those?" Way too rich for my blood.

But....for rarity alone and if a set of NOS wheels was that last finishing touch I wanted I don't think $500 per rim is total insanity. I've seen rims on civics that sell for that.

So my point is....would I buy them. No.
But if somebody wants them. There they are as opposed to you're shit out of luck.

compubert

Reaction score
There are Businesses in Daytona that rent wheels for a grand a month, and sell them for 2k apiece... that said I don't think 2k worth of wheels would make my 200$ 40 year old rust bucket look any better.... ;-)

MARCH374

Reaction score
That price would be such a large percentage of what the average car sells for. That type of money would be better off spent on more
practical upgrades/improvements.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I doubt anyone will.
But they're out there.
But I do agree that $2000 for wheels on what would be say a $5000-$7000 absolutely mint car is a bit nuts.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
This was $5000 the last I saw and it has nice wheels.
Get it for $4000, put other wheels on -profit!

miradawheel.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Oh well.
Look at it this way.
In ten years if these cars skyrocket then that price might be semi justified if it stays the same.

80mirada

Reaction score
The sad truth is their are plenty of guys paying $450-500 a piece for certain date code steel wheels. The 10 spoke and 5 on 5 wheels are some of the best factory wheels made, but $2000 is pushing it for a wheel that goes on a car that is worth $5500 for a perfect one. That said, I would probably buy the if I won the lottery

NoCar340

Reaction score
About 10 years ago, I sold a pair of date-coded 1968 15"x6.5" steel wheels salvaged from a New Yorker for $700. $350 each! I wasn't even aware what the Hemi guys were paying at the time; though I might get $150 if the wind was with me. A friend of mine bought an NOS set of the same wheels in this auction for $1,200 about 10 years ago for his 14,000-mile Mirada. Of course, those happened to be color-keyed to his car, too.

That being said, I paid a little more than this for the wheels for my Challenger not including tires or center caps. I simply had to have them, and they're not likely to be found at a junkyard or swap meet. That car is a 25-year dream of mine, so everything has to be exactly right.

I'm way beyond knocking anyone else for what they paid for something they just "had to have" anymore. :cool:

80mirada

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has an 81 Mirada coming in for a full restoration. The guy who is having it done said he doesn't care about the cost or the resale value. He wants it better than new, and had bought a similar set of 10 spokes for $1700 last year for this build

NoCar340

Reaction score
He wants it better than new, and had bought a similar set of 10 spokes for $1700 last year for this build
And he'll never regret doing it. There are certain "must have" parts, and wheels play such a huge part in the overall appearance and perception of a car.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Those rims are the finishing touch to a car for roughly $500 each. How many people drop that or close to it each for a set of Radial T/A's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back