Approaching an owner of a 79 4 door for parts car

slant6billy

Reaction score
I found a 79 Aspen 4 door sitting a private driveway. I stopped an asked a neighbor of the owner if it was for sale. He didn't know, but thought the owner could use the cash. It isn't in too bad of shaped, but been sitting outside for 33 years has beat it up. I admit I've seen worse go back on the road, but with this car it could bring life to 3 coupes or more. The bumpers, tail lights and most important- THE GRILLE is good. I was going to stop mid week and talk to the owner. Any suggestions? I never "worked" a seller or a sale. At most, I'll give the guy my contact info - in case he needs to sell.

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
what i would do is go up and knock on the door when you know they are home and ask him/her about the car and then say that if it is not for sale that you understand the reason whatever one they give you.maybe talk about the interest you both share with those body styles.show up with your car to let them know that you do appreciate them.they may "open up" a little bit to you then.but the most important thing to remember is to be repectfull of there answer.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Yep , thanks. I wonder how folks react when they get that dose of realness. What I mean is and I failed to mention was I took a peak under this car and you can guess what New Jersey winters have done to her frame rails. They are not completely gone, but not all there either. Someone good at boxing frame? might be able to save the car, but I would say this is more for donation. So do you think they would be offended if I already know what lurks beneath the body? Some folks get real funny when you know the dirty little secret.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Yep , thanks. I wonder how folks react when they get that dose of realness. What I mean is and I failed to mention was I took a peak under this car and you can guess what New Jersey winters have done to her frame rails. They are not completely gone, but not all there either. Someone good at boxing frame? might be able to save the car, but I would say this is more for donation. So do you think they would be offended if I already know what lurks beneath the body? Some folks get real funny when you know the dirty little secret.

As stated just drum up a conversation, and if they are not pressing to do anything most will stand and talk. If he says its not for sale do as someone already mentioned, but to 'KIND OF' "force" the issue just say well I know ya dont want to sell it but do you mind if WE have a look-see... Depending on THAT reaction, then you can act accordingly. If he's proud to "show" you the car LET him. Once to the car then can you have your "first" look under the car, and then mention the problems to him... Bet the car belonged to grandma/pa, aunt, uncle etc. and they have the emotional/family attachment to the car and probably dont realize the shape its in. If he does know, he will probably tell ya on your way to the ground that it aint pretty under there, or something to that effect. But the door knock is the first step. M3C

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep. Knocking on the door is step one.
What I've found is if he's the owner, most of the time they're more than happy to have a chat about their old baby.
As mentioned showing up with your car is a great idea (you both have a common interest)
If he's not the original owner (maybe it was dad's or grandpa's)
Maybe they'll more than happy to let you "get that old piece of crap" out of their driveway.

slant6billy

Reaction score
As much as I would enjoy cruising on over with my f body, it is a little less than legal right now. All lights are removed for painting, no inspection / registration and the fat meats are far too welcoming to street challenges and the police. I'm still a little ill and need to rest a day or 3 b/f I do anything. I should send my wife, but she is not really a fan of the sport we call mopar owning.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That car's probably not going anywhere soon.
Rest up, get better and go have a chat (even without your car)
Chewing the fat about how great those ol' F bodies are will get you well under way.

Back