Aspen torsion bar adjustment.

318wagon

Reaction score
Has anyone adjusted the torsion bar bolt (to tighten) and it has gotten really tight, almost positive stop, with about and inch of threads left? Trying to get the front end of this wagon to an ok ride height. The passenger side was sitting on the k member bumper and the driverside was about an inch away from k member bumper when I got the car. I turned both sides in 4 turns in the method shown in the video with no weight on the tires and now both sides are sitting about 1 1/4" off the k frame bumper. That's after a 15 minute drive and pushing down on the front bumper a few times. The upper control arms are still pointed upwards, which leads me to believe I need to raise the front of the vehicle a little more. Curious how much more lift would come from about 1" of threads left on the torsion bar adjustment bolts? Is there a possibilty that the torsion bars were pulled off and not clocked correctly when re installed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Interesting...so I wonder: if you pull the wheels off and put the front end (by the framerails) on jack stands...how far down do the T-bars push the LCA?

If you have barely any 'push', perhaps that would mean they were not clocked properly...but still, I'm thinking with only 6 faces on the end of the T-bar, boy, that's 60 deg clock each time...you'd be able to tell this right away, no?

Either way, you might want to do this regardless and figure out the real no-load amount of movement in the T-bars.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here is for reference. Maybe it will help.

318 ac car with a 235/60/15 and just at like 5/8 thread showing and its got over 4 inches from top of tire level to top of wheel opening arch. Might be a bit high for proper spec, I didnt set these this high.

The info manual says where it should be and this was done along with the 5 mph bumpers to have STD. for bumper heights across all lines in hopes of having more bumper on bumper slow speed bumps vs grilles and tail lights getting broke out at even the slowest of speeds.

Clocking one notch is possible. OR they could just be worn out.

3 (5).JPG

3 (6).JPG

IMG_20240429_193049571.jpg

IMG_20240429_193106988.jpg

FSusp007.jpg

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
For what it's worth: I am swapping the stock bars to FirmFeel pieces, and since I remembered you asking about this I took a few pics of the bars I just pulled out (will post later) but wanted to pop-in and say the following: once t-bars are removed, when you lay them flat on the floor, the end-bracket ears are at 15 deg. angle, pointing towards the back of the car when the bars are arranged on the floor in as-installed-in-the-car direction.

When these were installed in the car, I measured the distance from the retaining nut to the end of the big adjuster bolt:
1) 56 mm DRIVER
2) 70 mm PASS

...and that had the retaining nut positioned about half way on the adjuster bolt itself.

That means you may have them clocked incorrectly if you only have about an inch left.

Back