Auction Tools

Justwondering

Reaction score
You all know that my dad died last year.
Upon taking over his estate, I've found that many of the tools and much of the equipment had been pilfered by the last meth head that was working for him. Maybe thats too harsh.. meth head, alcoholic, opportunist, thief-- whatever.

I saw this auction and this was in one lot -- sevearl pictures so look through things carefully.

This is an auction for a trucking company that is going out of business.. Does this look like a good, useful resupply and how much should I look at spending.

Just know that every time I need to do anything on the backhoe, tractor, or vehicles since I took over -- I find I have to go to town to get even just the basics -- as in there are exactly 2 flat head screwdrivers in the white barn and no hammer. The air hose ends for filling tires have the wrong neck and won't fit the air hose in on the hose line. Basic things that drive me crazy (make that crazy-er).

Pics:
lot28-1.JPG

lot28-2.JPG

lot28-3.JPG

lot28-4.JPG

lot28-6.JPG

lot28-7.JPG

lot28-8.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been to a few tool auctions and sometimes people just go auction crazy (ie: spending way more than what you can purcahse for new, is).

Things to keep in mind is:
How much of the stuff up for auction, do you need (and not necessarily want).
How complete is the sets (ie: not counting missing or broken tools or parts)
Make a list of what you know is there and compare to new prices.

Once you know what is there and then you can set a max $. I do mean a max dollar figure. Once it goes a penny over that number, you are out.

Harbor Freight is a good place to get prices (there are other good sites, as well). Some people swear by their tools – other people swear at their tools.
My thoughts are: if it is a tool I need to make a living, I would upgrade to better stuff. For occasional use, I can’t complain about their stuff.
I also have a location about ½ mile from my home (wait, did I say that out loud)?

The first picture, I have this 301 piece tool set that I carry in car (the pic 2/3 below), when traveling and or heading to an “on side of road” repair somewhere. It is a decent set to “fit many needs” set – but doesn’t come with everything.
lot28-2 a.JPG

HF 63457 Tool set A.JPG

looks like this:
HF 63457 Tool set B.JPG

lot38-5 A.JPG

HF 62958 Puller.JPG

lot28-9 A.JPG

HF 62157.JPG

To be honest with you, I didn't see anything that screamed "buy me" in those pictures.
That said, it would be good to go, for there might be some great buys there, maybe.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I agree, just don't get rid of enthing , if you need something then buy or borrow.
I ran a shop for twenty years and fine I need to buy few things from time to time.

Back