B Body 8 3/4 Axle, splines ok? Pictured

bruue1

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask.
I don't really "know" anything about any auto or truck axles besides what I could learn from reading online.

I bought a 66-68 B Body 8 3/4 with green bearings (good), axles, 741 open rear diff for $350

So one axle has full splines all the way to the end.
On the other axle the splines stop about 1/8 - 1/4 inch short, but the pattern of them is still there, as if they got sheared. Before the "sheared" spot the splines are uniformly tapered (as if machined to be) and before that they are all in perfect shape
Also I liked the guy I bought it from, I didn't get a deciever type of vibe from him

My end goal with this car is a 300+ hp cruiser, I'll never be on the drag strip. Currently running 225 80 hp.

The axle with the funny splines:
Is this how this axle is supposed to be?
If not can I still use it and not worry about it?
It seems like there is plenty of spline left to me
I've attached a picture

What do you think about the axle in this pic?

Thank you.

BBodyAxle8&3-43.jpeg

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
The smooth end May have been machine cut but those offset look like they’re from prolonged wear; but it’s honestly hard to tell from the picture.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know the history of it.
How much of the normal part of the splines makes contact? If it's a significant amount i wouldn't worry about it. It looks too consistent to be from damage.

bruue1

Reaction score
I think it looks intentionally altered too. I don't know.

My intent is to just get the axle housing I'm going to use so that I can get my springs, U bolts, shock plates shocks and freshen my original 1980 F body rear while also removing/converting the surface rust on the underside of my car back there.

The diff is open, I am not even sure if this axle is from the drive side, so maybe it doesn't even matter.

Think I'm just gonna clean, paint and assemble what I got as is and build my rear end out this winter and see how it drives next spring. Years down the road, if I end up with real power in this car, I can invest in a sure grip and new axles if needed then. I'll have this housing all set to put them in.

Thanks for everybody's input.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
...Think I'm just gonna clean, paint and assemble what I got as is and build my rear end out this winter and see how it drives next spring...

One more thing you can do for a little piece of mind: check the spline engagement depth by marking the axle splines with some gear marking compound - usually the yellow stuff differential shops use to check the pinion<=>crown gear mesh pattern.

Mark it, toss it in (assumption here being that the actual gear set needs to be installed as well), you will need to button up the axle shafts at the housing ends to take up any play as that will seat the splines fully. Once there, rotate through a couple of revolutions to give the engaged splines a chance to mesh/mark-up.

Then take it all apart. Where the markings stop will show you the engagement depth.

bruue1

Reaction score
One more thing you can do for a little piece of mind: check the spline engagement depth by marking the axle splines with some gear marking compound - usually the yellow stuff differential shops use to check the pinion<=>crown gear mesh pattern.

Mark it, toss it in (assumption here being that the actual gear set needs to be installed as well), you will need to button up the axle shafts at the housing ends to take up any play as that will seat the splines fully. Once there, rotate through a couple of revolutions to give the engaged splines a chance to mesh/mark-up.

Then take it all apart. Where the markings stop will show you the engagement depth.
That is a good idea. I think I will do that. Thank you.

bruue1

Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to build this 8.75 axle housing.
I contacted Dr Diff via email and sent a picture of this axle end.
They were kind enough to give me this reply.

"The splines at the end of the axle were stripped off by an early sure-grip with 2 piece side gears."

I'm going to buy new axle shafts for the housing.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Two sets of splines on each side is what he meant. Semi common to see axles like the op posted.

7.png

6.png

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It looks like the axle is too short, it looks like it’s only driving the axle with 1/2” of splines…

bruue1

Reaction score
I've decided the axles are useless. Probably scrap metal. I might try to sell them for $20, maybe someone else could use them?

Cass at Dr Diff is excellent, like all you guys say.
Cass looked at the pictures I sent him, told me how my axle got damaged, told me what specific axle housing I had sitting in my garage, and provided me with links to the parts I needed.
It is good service.

I have a 65-67 B body 8.75 Axle Housing they are slightly shorter than the 68-70 ones. All of which will bolt into an F Body platform with no modification.

I'm excited about getting my axle done and installed. More excited about getting my new springs, shocks, and deleting those stupid ISO clamps. Right now my rear end floats around like you wouldn't believe. Maybe by next spring I'll be able to go slide around on a dirt road somewhere.

Last edited:

340-4speed

Reaction score
I knew exactly the rear end you bought just from he spline pic seen it on FB. Seller seemed clueless.

Back