Balancer/ torque converter ??

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
So Im new to this site, did a little searching and didnt come up with a good answer. Even googled the crap out of my computer and nothing so here it goes...

I have a 79 plymouth volare, 225 supersix with a 2bbl and the good ol a904 non-lock up trans. I just rebuilt the engine a couple months ago and my reverse just went out so Im rebuilding it next. Now heres the question, the rebuilt engine is an early 70s model with the forged crank, the original engine was a cast crank. I have read that the early ones were internally balanced and the harmonic and torque converter had a neutral balance. I do not see any balance wieghts on the converter itself and I think I remember putting the balance off the original engine (it had two grooves for all the accesories). Am I in danger of damaging the engine, if so what crank pulley should I search for and should I replace the converter as well?

Thanks in advance and hopefully folks around here are easier with the newbies than other forums Ive been on are lol.

Kernel Sanders

Reaction score
I may be mistaken and will be corrected by others if I am...

I do beleive for the 225, forged or cast crank, they are both internally balanced and use a neutral balanced convertor and damper.

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
Cool, that means that I can just use what I already have. The engine is smooth as silk and super quiet since the rebuild so I didnt think anything was off. If anyone else states other wise Ill stick with what is already on the car. Thanks again for the reply, very much appreciated and Ill try and get some pics up of the car soon I think you all will appreciate it as much as I do.

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
Oh yea, Ive spent ALOT of timeon that site already, alot of great info but nothing specific to what Im looking for.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
Oh yea, Ive spent ALOT of timeon that site already, alot of great info but nothing specific to what Im looking for.

Well not for sure what info you were looking for, but there are some differences in the H.B. from years to years, and whether or not its a std or auto, but none have to do with the actual balance, so yes you are safe to use the old with the new, or vice versa.... Welcome to the site btw...:eusa_dance:

oldskoolracer

Reaction score
Well not for sure what info you were looking for, but there are some differences in the H.B. from years to years, and whether or not its a std or auto, but none have to do with the actual balance, so yes you are safe to use the old with the new, or vice versa.... Welcome to the site btw...:eusa_dance:

Thats just about what I was looking for. It is a 79, factory super six car (wagon to be specific), 904 trans. I bought a rebuilt six, had new everything from rods, bearings, pistons, to cam and lifters and the guy only wanted $200 so I snagged it without any hesitation. I did realize once I got it home, it was out of an early van (1970 I believe), had a single groove balancer and had a clutch/ flywheel assembly already on it. I put the 2 groove balancer, A/T flexplate on it, and all of the 79 accessories on it. It just rolled passed the 500 mile break in period when reverse went out but no issues what so ever with the engine.

So yea just wanted to verify the balancer and converter while the trans is out so I can get the right parts on it before its back on the road again. Thaks for all the info guys, and thanks for the welcome to the site! :icon_mrgreen:

kmccabe56

Reaction score
FWIW, I have the same setup ('79 wagon, 225-2V). I picked up an '80 225-1V parts car and stuck the trans from it in my wagon. Deep gear set and lock up torque converter. And I'm getting another 3mpg on the highway.

Badasspen

Reaction score
A couple things to add,
1. All slant 6 motors are forged crank.
2. All are internally balanced.
3. The auto trans issue is later torque converters will not fit early cranks.
but early converter will fit later cranks.
4.Standard trans (manual) will fit either one.
The center relief on the crank is smaller in the earlier motors.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
A couple things to add,
1. All slant 6 motors are forged crank.
2. All are internally balanced.
3. The auto trans issue is later torque converters will not fit early cranks.
but early converter will fit later cranks.
4.Standard trans (manual) will fit either one.
The center relief on the crank is smaller in the earlier motors.

3 out of 4 aint bad... #1 is incorrect tho, mid production run in 1976 went from forged to cast. (for the 225 ci engine, the 170 and 198 ci were all forged crank motors)

Here is a small article on the subject, and TONS more info on ANYTHING slant ya need to know....http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dutra-blocks/slant-blocks.htm

Last edited:
Back