Bang for the Buck!

Greg55_99

Reaction score
I’d like to buy an argument. Bang for the buck. Big Block vs. Small Block vs. 3rd Gen Hemi. I suppose my personal view leans toward the Big Block swap. Specifically, a stroked 400 block in the F body. Now that’s not what I actually have (413), but if you start comparing costs and effort to power your F, I think this one is the one with the best outcome. Power and money wise. A 451 stroker will fit with Schumaker mounts, stock manifolds, keep power steering and brakes. Of course you can do the same with a stroked 408 Small Block, but you give away cubes. Tall deck 440 is OK, but you lose the power brakes (and it’s heavy). 3rd gen Hemi is a great motor, BUT, in my opinion, it takes way too much to get it into your chassis. Those costs add up fast especially if you’re re-building the motor for use.

Thoughts?

Greg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
440 is a big pain in the butt. You could change to an earlier style booster and keep the power brakes.

efriedrich

Reaction score
How about building one of these. Drop that big arm in a 318, 340, 360 and we are talking 440 plus cubes and it will look like a 318 and fit like a glove. Who needs a big block when you can have all those cubes and an aftermarket full of LA and magnum hipo parts.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=189857

Last edited:

joeblo

Reaction score
Why didn't the 1G Hemi make the list? Its like the sad kid that never gets picked.:crybaby2:

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
If I didn't have the 440 Big Block in my other car right now I would have gone with the 451 stroker.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
If I didn't have the 440 Big Block in my other car right now I would have gone with the 451 stroker.

I actually feel the same way. Packaging and cost wise, this seems (to me) to be the best way to go.

Ist gen Hemi is a real nice piece, but, initial costs are high compared to a big or small block. Are there any over the counter mounts for that application?

Greg

Last edited:

joeblo

Reaction score
No, There are no over the counter mounts for that application. I've used both small block and big block mounts, but both require some modification. I like the 400 idea because I'm a big block kinda guy.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Mopar people are not in it b/c they are cheap - it is true. I saw a 79 Aspen R/T 15 years ago with a 454 chevy transplant. Ask why- the motor was from a 90 one ton truck and other parts were straight out of the bone yard. All said, he had 4 grand into the car, including the car. I had a 400 mopar on a stand 6 months ago. It was so heavy it bent the stand. It was not a cheapy stand either. There is alot of iron in the 350/383/400 blocks. I don't know it the added weight in an F is justified. So, sorry folks, I'm sticking to the small block option. If I find that needle in the haystack wrecked SRT 6.1 in some back lot, it is getting transplanted into my F. Again, the 6.1 is about 150 pounds lighter, develops torque in places a big block could only dream (unless $$ was no option) and has better mid range & topend over LA/ magnums (stock). So if any poor soul has a teeboned SRT hemi, let me know. Otherwise, magnum headed small block with a cam, lightweight waterpump, mech fan delete (electric fans make up for lost mpg and acceleration) is the way.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Then I'll ask you this, in all honesty, if you DID find a 6.1 in a totaled out Dodge, what do you estimate the cost would be to get it into your F?

Greg

efriedrich

Reaction score
If you look over on FABO there are several threads on the GEN 3 swap into an A body. If I remeber right it isnt cheap, besides the motor I think its several grand worth of shit that needs done.

slant6billy

Reaction score
In terms of cost to put the newer 6.1 in; I'd take everything from the wreck, CPU (CPM), radiator, AC trans, dash bezel. I really would be taking a newer Hemi car and re-skinng it with F-body clothing. I'm not a puriest in an means, plus there is a 160 mph speedo in those SRT cars. So I am weighing the price of the wreck plus time. Tough part- find one.

Back