BaT 1978 Chrysler Lebaron Woody Wagon!!!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I had the money for that car - for it is a nice one.
It has the "L" E58 360 HiPo 4-bbl and even has the black valve covers - which is odd for this car to have (the engine, not the valve covers), in my opinion. I don't think I've seen an E58 in any Chrysler other than in a 300, before (or even in a station wagon as far as that goes).

It also has a P/S cooler as well - another Chrysler oddity (but not for Dodge or Plymouth). I would guess someone special ordered this car.

It will be hard to find a nicer wagon out there . . . i think.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've never seen the black valve covers on one before. Looks like a nice car. I'm surprised they left the torn up sun visor and didn't recover them when the rest looks so good.
Imagine what kind of pain it would be if you had to change a door lock or someone tried to pop one when they're partially covered in the fake wood and end up breaking it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Many, but not all, E58 engines were painted blue, but have black valve covers (Well, except for what were used on the Little Red Express pickups - which they have factory installed chrome valve covers).
I'm sure there is a story as to why black valve covers - but not sure what that story is.

At first and second glance, it looks like someone "goofed".

Kramer79

Reaction score
That front bench is in great shape! Mine needs some love to look like that! Nice car… wonder what it tops out at when the bidding is done?!

MARCH374

Reaction score
I wish I had the money for that car - for it is a nice one.
It has the "L" E58 360 HiPo 4-bbl and even has the black valve covers - which is odd for this car to have (in my opinion). I don't think I've seen an E58 in any Chrysler other than in a 300, before (or even in a station wagon as far as that goes).

It also has a P/S cooler as well - another Chrysler oddity (but not for Dodge or Plymouth). I would guess someone special ordered this car.

It will be hard to find a nicer wagon out there . . . i think.
BudW
Bud W- Where did you find this info. Sounds like it has Police pkg. Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bud W- Where did you find this info. Sounds like it has Police pkg. Thanks
I looked at pictures from the link on first post.
My first look was at the fender tag:
1978 Chrysler LeBaron Wagon 232-50507.jpg

This is after downloading, rotating then resizing in attempt to read the engine code - but wasn't able to do so.
I then downloaded the door VIN sticker:
1978ChryslerLeBaronWagon-231-50499.jpg

And it shows an "L" engine code - which confirmed my suspicion.
The clues were there. Just gotta know where to look.

I need to be able to read all of the fender tags to know if it has a police package or not, but I doubt this car has it. '78 was a time where you could special order vehicles just like this one.
BudW

MARCH374

Reaction score
Thanks Bud W. i see the tranny cooler line's over the radiator support on driver's side and it has a P.S Cooler that why i think it may be Police Pkg.

Back