Bigger gas tank

Volare4life

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if any one has fitted a larger than stock gas tank (unmodified to slightly modified) any brand gas tank their car, looking to drop in a stamped steel tank in the 25+ gallon range, or thinking about widening and adding a 5in strip of aluminized steel around the tank top and bottom where they clamshell, would like to avoid the welding route if possible, building an aluminum tank is on the list of possibilities, trying to stay with in reason on price

NoCar340

Reaction score
Methinks you'll find yourself uncomfortably close in the ground-clearance department. Customer want of a more-useful trunk led Chrysler to design a large, flat tank that still sits lower than the stocker in, say, a similar-era B-body despite similar capacity. However, I must admit I'm intrigued... a 5-inch band would increase the fuel capacity by nearly double (15.5 additional gallons).

slant6billy

Reaction score
One option to check out is the 1993 to 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee gas tank. A 23 gallon tank and plastic. I had one for a fuel injection conversion I had plans on doing. I had a complete parts jeep for my 94. My plan was to use the the layout mock up for putting a magnum 5.2 into a F body. If I remember it was narrow enough for dual exhaust, but hung lower. The "Nannies" are crying that these jeeps are unsafe and a bunch are being shelved (junked)- so it may be an easy grab for parts.

Volare4life

Reaction score
I was planning on raising the floor a few inches to compensate for increasing the tanks height, I want to widening the tank as much as i can or find a tank at the junk yard as close to the height and width I want to minimize fabrication, only issue being like most junk yards they puncture the tanks, I can fix metal, I don't know about the composite tanks I don't think they can be fixed, theres always craigslist lol. I plan on dumping the exhaust out the sides ala T/A or madmax style :) its going in a '79 2dr volare turbo slant six project :)

Photo (2).jpg

80C573F9-7BE7-465B-9010-DA14F04DBDCB_zpscup05urs.jpg

Photo (2).jpg

80C573F9-7BE7-465B-9010-DA14F04DBDCB_zpscup05urs.jpg

alf44

Reaction score
what brand turbo? and what boost are you going to run? what type of carb you using?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Another turbo guy! Yay! I'm doing a V8, but hairdryers is hairdryers! :eusa_dance:

Volare4life

Reaction score
turbo is a holset HX-35W off a 2002 dodge ram 2500, split scroll, welded internal waste gate shut, cut arm off and smoothed outside, running a same side pretty big FMIC (23x11x3) going to start light between 7-10psi, not sure what spring is in the waste gate (spa turbo wastegate, got it NOS for $75 retail on it is over $300 :) ) holley 650 DP with BRPV up front, cut out the choke horn, and blended the inside of the carb for maximum air flow, and installed vent extensions thinking either JB weld or soldering them in place :) aeromotive throught the system -6AN for feed and -8AN for return,

-Mike

kmccabe56

Reaction score
I was planning on raising the floor a few inches to compensate for increasing the tanks height, I want to widening the tank as much as i can or find a tank at the junk yard as close to the height and width I want to minimize fabrication, only issue being like most junk yards they puncture the tanks, I can fix metal, I don't know about the composite tanks I don't think they can be fixed, theres always craigslist lol. I plan on dumping the exhaust out the sides ala T/A or madmax style :) its going in a '79 2dr volare turbo slant six project :)

View attachment 5780

View attachment 5781

I gotta ask: Why do you want all that extra weight at the back? Just to get a better bite off the line at the track? There's got to be easier ways of getting extra weight over the rear wheels.

Back