Blower motor

lowbudget

Reaction score
The blower motor on my new 84 project car sounds rough, Whats involved in changing it out. I would just look at my service manual but I'm over here at work in the desert and my service manual is at home. TIA

Justwondering

Reaction score
hello from the other side of the big water!
Light rain here today in Texas ... thank you lord.

On page 24-44 of my lovely service manual:
<quote>
BLOWER MOTER (Fig 5)
In caps:
ALL SERVICE TO THE BLOWER MOTOR IS MADE INSIDE THE VEHICLE UNDER THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE INSTRUMENT PANEL.

Removal
(1) Disconnect negative battery cable.
(2) Disconnect blower motor feed wire.
(3) Remove blower motor mounting nuts from bottom of recirculation housing.
(4) Separate lower blower motor housing from upper housing.
(5) Remove blower motor mounting plate screws.
(6) Remove wire grommet, mounting plate, blower motor, and blower wheel as an assembly.

Installation
(1) Install wire grommet. Position mounting plate, blower motor and wheel assembly and install mounting screws. Blower wheel must bottom on motor shaft.
(2) Position and secure blower motor housing to upper housing.
(3) Connect blower motor feed wires.
(4) Reconnect negative batter cable.
(5) Test blower motor operation on all fan speeds.

Picture to follow:

Justwondering

Reaction score
image.jpg

lowbudget

Reaction score
Thank you so much! It doesn't sound too bad to do.....my famous last words. I shouldn't have bolted my front seat back in after the headliner as I would have had more room to crawl under the dash.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Once the light drizzle quits, I've got the two a-pillars to recover and post pictures for you.

I'll take a couple of photos under the dash so you can get a view. If you are slim, you can probably do this with the seat pushed all the way back. Otherwise, you get to crawl under the car to back off the nuts so the seat can come out again.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I've still got to pull my dash to get to mine......their the only thing left to cover in my interior. I will also be doing the timing chain days off as it is probably due for a new one.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I will take some pictures - But I think you can remove/reinstall the blower motor without doing anything to the dash (or seat).

lowbudget

Reaction score
Cool as wasn't really looking forward to climbing underneath it again to unbolt the seats. The dash has to come apart for the new to me correct Infinity stereo and the get the A pillars out. I suppose I will be crawling under it anyway to put a bigger exhaust and a Canadian Y pipe in it.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These pictures are from an ’80 Aspen with factory A/C - the same evaporator case as all ’80 and up FMJ cars with factory A/C – but models with ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) look slightly different (blower motor is exactly the same).

If sitting in R/F seat looking forward (if dash removed) towards R/F tire area. Note: dash can remain in place.
20160823_143748.jpg

Same area of car but worms eye view.
20160823_143805.jpg

Notice there are about five screws (I did not count them) holding this section of plastic up.
Once this section is unbolted and part slid out from under the evaporator case, then you need to disconnect the wiring and unbolt the motor from plastic (3 screws) and it’s out.

Going back together is the same – just be sure to have all screws in place before tightening any of them.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think you will save any time to remove the R/F seat.

Matter of fact, I would bet a bottle of soft drink (cold) that it would take less time to keep seat in place, than to remove seat.

Alldata labor guide shows it takes 0.9 of an hour to do (in flat rate hours - if paying a technician to do it).
Mitchell’s labor guide shows 1.3 flat rate hours to do.
My guess is it will take you about 1½ hours to do (no, I’m not betting on time it takes you).

Just think, if your car came without A/C, then it takes 2.7 hours to perform (the whole case has to come out).

lowbudget

Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures. It looks pretty easy. I only have 2 more weeks in the desert and I will find out.

Back