Brake booster

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I did have numbers decades ago but don’t have that data any longer. The stock FMJ booster will provide a certain number of foot/pounds of additional force when applied, depending on vacuum levels being a constant. For now, I will use a "rough" figure of 100 (sense I no longer know what that number is). The K-car single booster will provide roughly an 85 and the tandem booster will provide roughly 120.

Turbocharged vehicles do not produce engine vacuum in the same manner as non-turbocharged vehicles do, so in effect a tandem booster will put out about the same “boost” as single booster in a non-turbo car (K-car) will.

To be honest, FMJ cars have “over-boosted” brakes (in my opinion) – so using a smaller booster will not be noticeable when braking.

In the case of my wagon, it doesn’t take much petal effort to come to a sudden stop. I’ve been considering removing the booster altogether – but when I consider the additional weight of the pending big block, I’ve taken that option off the table.

Back