Brake Proportioning

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few of theories on your current problem, though (see next post).

I “believe” all 7¼” differentials came with 10” brakes (’74, until end of production).

Here is a few pictures of drum brake hardware. I hadn’t looked at each picture – but I suspect minor differences in each picture – so the picture should either match or come really close to have. At work so have limited information to pull from, atm.
11” drum brakes use a different hardware setup (so not pictured).

70 FSM pg 5-5.JPG

77 FSM 5-13  10 in Drum.JPG

82 FSM Drum Brake.gif

86 FSM 5-12  10 in Drum.JPG

It is not uncommon for hardware to break or fall off, things to get rusty, axle seals to leak and/or rear wheel cylinder to leak – and each one can make drum brakes grab early or not do anything.
It is also not uncommon to have missing and/or mismatched hardware, over the years - which only invites problems.

When you remove the brake drum, Things will be dusty – but should not be oily.
If there is any evidence of anything being oily – you need to get the source of leak fixed, then clean or replace the brake shoes, clean the drum and backing plate (canned brake cleaner works great) and reassemble.
The brake linings and drum MUST be oil free – so use gloves if you must, or place tape on the linings first – or whatever (be sure to remove tape once done).
This step is actually harder to accomplish, than to say (for some people).

There are three raised locations on backing plate, per side (6 to a plate) that need a touch of wheel bearing grease (a thin film, only) at each location.
77 FSM pg 5-15 b.JPG

The star adjuster – I have heard from several sources two different opinions as what to do with it. One set says to apply a very small amount of wheel bearing grease to the two spots marked by red arrows.
77 FSM pg 5-15 a.JPG

The other set of people say to make sure all surfaces are not rusty, clean and just leave be (ie: dry).

I don’t really have an opinion as to which way - except for if car will be parked more than it will be driven – a very thin layer of grease would be a good idea (to prevent rust).
If you plan on driving car every day (like I do), dry would be best.

Other than that, ALL other drum brake parts should be clean, dry and rust free.

More thoughts in a bit.
BudW

NorthernNYMOPAR

Reaction score
On a lazy Sunday I finally read all this and have a couple thoughts, pardon if mentioned or don't apply, but there are a couple things I could add, you said one of the wheel cylinders leaked but don't think I saw brake shoes replaced, if brake fluid contaminates the shoes they will grab like crazy, not slip but grab hard, other thing, if the drum is out of round the peddle may pulse but also will cause grab and lock up.

I'd also like to reiterate any internal (visual external isn't the only clue) line or hose issues cause either slow or no apply and/or slow or no release, so swelled internal, seen separation in rubber internally, or a dent or rust in a steel line.

My last "shade tree mechanic" input is I think I also read you made sure self adjusters were working and everything was adjusted properly, with drum brakes (and the balance front to rear) as pointed out somewhere in here is based on travel so if self adjusters not working or cranked up extra tight you can get weird results.

Hope I haven't repeated what's been said (hate that in posts, something said just 2-3 replies back) and it may help, less of a guarantee with online help.

volare 77

Reaction score
Yes, That is why i was asking about the leak. I had a car do the same thing and it had contaminated shoes from brake fluid. I usually look for the simple things first before I try to reinvent the wheel.

NorthernNYMOPAR

Reaction score
I saw that however wasn't sure if the connection of how that made it grab, some people have the misconception that because brake fluid is slippery in nature that it reduces braking not make them grab like crazy, that's all just clarifying.

volare 77

Reaction score
It`s all good. IMO, Any info provided is better then none at all. I should have been more specific to the issue.

Rifleshooter

Reaction score
Ok got my brakes working right finally. I was a combination of a few things that made everything go wrong. I got an adjustable proportioning valve in prep from doing a drum to rotor swap in the future. Put it in today and had a good look at all the brakes while I was at it. Turned out the shoes were switched on the left rear, the old combination valve was actually clogged for the front brakes all together, and right front brake line was pinched shut and getting next to no fluid all along. Got it all taken care of and adjusted the new prop valve so all the brakes lock together at a speed of 25mph on wet pavement. All is good now and I greatly thank everyone involved with this discussion as everything that was said had been very helpfull. Thank you all so much!!!

Back