California emissions in NJ

slant6billy

Reaction score
This is the dumbest thing ever. My 33 year old F body is my saving grace over my 4 door Honda . My honda looks just like every other Honda and every other 4 door box. My honda has the ulev California emissions package. What that means ...... the parts cost more than a non ulev California emission car. Price for a new Cat for my Honda is $230.00. Cost for two high flow magnaflow 2 1/2 for my F-body $63 for both. Must be that new math, ya think? Oh, I don't have that "Leanburn box" anymore- just a Holley and a mopar ignition- no smoke or smells....

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
On the subject of cheap repairs, broke a brake line. Did the driver's flex hose, metal line from prop. valve to wheel, the clips and copper crush washers, fluid, warm shop time.
$76

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
On the subject of cheap repairs, broke a brake line. Did the driver's flex hose, metal line from prop. valve to wheel, the clips and copper crush washers, fluid, warm shop time.
$76

Driving a Chrysler instead of an import....

"Priceless".

slant6billy

Reaction score
As luck would have it and I don't have any. My Cuda friend has a old inventory Cat that should fit my Honda. Emphasis on should. Between SULEV, ULEV, LEV, Cal, and Fed emissions- we can't determine if the dam computer will like the new Cat. Only one way to find out.... install it. Again..... my 79 F-body is guaranteed to pass the emissions and runs cleaner now than it did with the lean burn. Doesn't idle fast, doesn't pulse, and doesn't smell up the garage. I do pull the aircleaner off while in the garage overnight and put one of the wife's plasticware containers (with a center hole drilled) upsidedown on the carb. No carb burpping gas while it sleeps. No stale gas buildup on the throttle plates either.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
You guys need to move to the States. Here where I am at anything 25 years and newer gets the smog test. In three more years my 89 Dakota goes classic with no smog test.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The tree huggers up here in Ontario changed the rules.
88 and up get eternal tests. 87 and under..nada.
Check the years on my babies.
Anything 88 and up are pretty much parts.

65 Dartman

Reaction score
Where I live in VA there's no smog what-so-ever! However, down towards DC and in the Hampton Roads area they do smog but think it's 25 years or newer.

slant6billy

Reaction score
One of the Car magazines had a list of what states test for what and lifted truck laws and such. Some states only test near populated areas. These states are accepting Federal money to enforce the emission standards of California. I say thank you- NOT. I just read where the Toyota Prius causes more damage to the planet- just being manufactured. It leaves a larger Carbon foot print since the electric power to charge it is produced by a dirty means (non green), and what to do with that high desity battery.... Gee they sure did not think that one through. So again the 33 year old F-body wins again.

ramenth

Reaction score
Where I live in VA there's no smog what-so-ever! However, down towards DC and in the Hampton Roads area they do smog but think it's 25 years or newer.

That's the way it is in NY. Smog in the NYMA, OBDII plug-in check for the rest of the state, visual check of emissions devices for anything OBDI and older, older than 25 years old is emissions exempt.

As far as the OP's concern about the original cat for ULEV, I've installed aftermarket non-LEV cats on LEV's before and had no issues. Remember, the purposes is to catalyze the exhaust gases. The upstream O2 sensor is to set A/F mixture, the downstream reads the gases coming out the cat. As long as your car is in good tune (the most important thing) and has good clean air coming in, clean gas feeding to it, and the injectors are atomizing correctly the burn will be clean. Even if the cat was hollow and the cat monitor saw clean gas coming out, it still wouldn't kick the MIL.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I got the old cat off today with the cutoff wheel. The honeycomb is all broken up. New cat, stainless hardware and RTV ready to go in the AM tomorrow. NEW cat has a C.A.R.B. # on it, so it is just what the EPA man is checking. Scary as it sounds, but felt like devine intervention when I saw the # on it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It ticks me off that the smog police and the tree hugger's are always trying to get our oldies off the road.
The stupid thing is #1 we're saving all of these cars from becoming landfill and
#2 because we work to make sure our babies are running right, our cars pollute far less than some guys 95 honda that he doesn't give a crap about.

Ass backwards.

ramenth

Reaction score
It ticks me off that the smog police and the tree hugger's are always trying to get our oldies off the road.
The stupid thing is #1 we're saving all of these cars from becoming landfill and
#2 because we work to make sure our babies are running right, our cars pollute far less than some guys 95 honda that he doesn't give a crap about.

Ass backwards.

Yes it is.

There's several things wrong with the emissions laws, no matter where it is. A couple are the things you addressed. Hot rodders, restorers - even just plain old enthusiasts who prefer to use an older car for daily driving - are the original recyclers.

We've done more for the environment and the economy than anything that Solyndra did, without billions of taxpayers dollars to back us. Because we like things clean and clean running we keep up on our routine maintenance, take care of those annoying leaks when they pop up and find ways to make to our cars run better (more efficiently) than just the average driver who puts a car in gear and goes from point A to point B.

Our typical daily drivers will never dump out as many pollutants through the tailpipe that a hybrid dumps pre-production.

My biggest rant when it comes to the tree-huggers is the hypocrisy. Once upon a time I worked at the Midas store in Ithaca, NY. We call it San Francisco east, here. (It's unofficial motto is "ten square miles surrounded by reality.") Very liberal thanks to Cornell University and to a smaller extent, Ithaca College. It's a city full of tree huggers who would come into the store for an oil change, yet their cars would have four flat, bald tires, air filters that was so dirty you didn't even want to touch it, OE fuel filters that had never been changed, alignments which were so off it made it hard to even drive the cars through the parking lot, yet these same idiots looked down their noses at my Ramcharger as some devil-spawned polluting SUV.

A lot of our customers were Cornell professors. You know, those bastions of higher -and high minded - education sitting in the gilded halls of academia. Educated idiots. For all intents and purposes each and everyone of 'em fell into the category of "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

The emissions laws here in NY (outside NYMA) make sense to me, in a way. Especially with the OBDII plug-in check. The vast majority of polluters to be caught aren't driving cars from the '80's, the '70's, or the '60's, it's the average every day driver cruising around in something just ten years old or newer, ignoring the check engine light while the car is throwing codes. I've even seen folks put a piece of electrical tape over the MIL so they can't see it. These are the same folks who hear their brakes grinding and turn up the radio. Then when the car doesn't pass inspection they acted surprised and outraged that they actually have to fix it.

And, like I said, these are cars that are ten years old or newer. For all the sophistication of the OBDII (and the OBDIII coming soon) the car may be smarter, but it doesn't make for a smarter driver.

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I got the old cat off today with the cutoff wheel. The honeycomb is all broken up. New cat, stainless hardware and RTV ready to go in the AM tomorrow. NEW cat has a C.A.R.B. # on it, so it is just what the EPA man is checking. Scary as it sounds, but felt like devine intervention when I saw the # on it.

Good luck.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got it all back together. Now I can get back to sanding on the F-body. I really hate when crap comes up to interfere with work on the F. 2 small spots to go and with 70° weather coming I'll be in primer in no time.

Back