Can head be pulled and replaced on 225 without removing manifolds?

compubert

Reaction score
Looks like Betsy finally needs work. I ran her low on antifreeze and *no temp gauge now* may have popped the head gasket *or cracked something, hope not* but have never had the head off and really have limited time to get back on the road. When revving engine now I have a flurry of microscopic bubbles in the coolant stream - BTW my re-tank of the radiator apparently only lasted 20 yrs. Need to be able to snatch *I know it is heavy enough already* the head without getting the intake loose as I torqued down the intake/exhaust years ago and I am afraid THAT will fracture if I take the pressure off.... any ideas folks??? thanks...Bert.

slant6billy

Reaction score
You can pull the head, but it will take some doing. You can unbolt the exhaust/ intake combo and push it towards the driverside fender. It only has to clear the studs. Pull the valve cover off. Now remove the whole rocker assembly. You can pull it appart, but keep it all in order. All the No 1 stuff through No 6 stuff must go back in order.

Now, the trick- go buy some eye bolts- 2 or 4 of them. Pull one of the rocker shaft bolts and get eyebolts with the matched thread- I can't remember what it is. Screw the eye bolts into the the rocker shaft holes. Unbolt the head from the block. With an engine crane, hock to the eye bolts and lift the head off. some guys can lift it without assistance........ trust me, it is heavy. I did it with a nylon strap and two budies using a 5 foot piece of pipe as a gantry. I did not have to remove the hood.

Good luck

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You can remove the head and manifolds together – but I don’t recommend it.

The manor Slant6billy said is by far the best way.
Second best is to unbolt exhaust from exhaust manifold and again, move assembly over to the side.

BudW

Last edited:

compubert

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will be parting out the car I guess if the head is cracked. Hoping I get away with a head gasket car has been with me since around 85' so I don't wanna see her go... wish me luck!

compubert

Reaction score
You can pull the head, but it will take some doing. You can unbolt the exhaust/ intake combo and push it towards the driverside fender. It only has to clear the studs. Pull the valve cover off. Now remove the whole rocker assembly. You can pull it appart, but keep it all in order. All the No 1 stuff through No 6 stuff must go back in order.

Now, the trick- go buy some eye bolts- 2 or 4 of them. Pull one of the rocker shaft bolts and get eyebolts with the matched thread- I can't remember what it is. Screw the eye bolts into the the rocker shaft holes. Unbolt the head from the block. With an engine crane, hock to the eye bolts and lift the head off. some guys can lift it without assistance........ trust me, it is heavy. I did it with a nylon strap and two budies using a 5 foot piece of pipe as a gantry. I did not have to remove the hood.

Good luck
Thanks Billy, done lots of engines just not a slant (they never seemed to need much) and I used to carry Buick big blocks around on one arm but don't think I can do that anymore either... I have the cast iron manifolds and I know that adds a ton to the 80 or so lbs that the head is supposed to weigh but I may have help too. I will post results/pics/etc as I uncover my %$#$-up. I have a cherry picker but no flat ground to work on right now. it may be interesting to watch - from a distance....

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks Billy, done lots of engines just not a slant (they never seemed to need much) and I used to carry Buick big blocks around on one arm but don't think I can do that anymore either... I have the cast iron manifolds and I know that adds a ton to the 80 or so lbs that the head is supposed to weigh but I may have help too. I will post results/pics/etc as I uncover my %$#$-up. I have a cherry picker but no flat ground to work on right now. it may be interesting to watch - from a distance....
Once you get the triangular washers / nuts loose, the exhaust down pipe is going to fight you when you try to move the intake/ exhaust to the driverside. You may just need a pry bar, or just unbolt at the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The lifting of the head is at a tough angle when the hood is still on. Lower back will thank you if you use a cherry picker or engine crane. Plus slow and easy will allow you to move it / maneuver around stuff. The eye bolt trick was my dad's idea and it works ever time. I have the eye bolts somewhere. I used to hurt slants as a hobby. a sick hobby. My dad invented curse words when we would peek in at the damage I would do.

Back