Can I put the air assisted shocks in the back of my '88 5th?

M Body General Discussion

1. 8v-of-fury

8v-of-fury Well-Known Member

Not necessarily to tow anything (although I'd like a hitch on it eventually..) but when I have my own fat ass plus 3 other people she's well loaded down lol. The leafs are pretty soft, so I imagine it is really the only way aside from stronger leaf springs to be able to have the rear end handle more weight.

Untitled.png

2. Mikes5thAve

Mikes5thAve Well-Known Member

If your leaf springs are original it would be worth looking at replacing them or finding a shop to add a leaf especially if it's a regular occurrence.
    The top shock mount is sheet metal and not made to take a heavy load. But people have used air springs with no problems before.

3. Sub03

Sub03 Member

I've been using those air shocks in my Aspen for a couple of years now, and I'm more than pleased with how they're holding up.

The Aspen's rear was sagging a bit, so with stock front end height I was looking too raise it an inch or so without breaking my budget. I'm running 55 psi pressure in them which gives the rear kind of a solid feeling compared to the old shocks.
    I also used some exhaust wrapping around the pipe at the axle bend to protect the boot a little.

I know the right way is replacing or rearching the leafs, but it's really hard to get this done here in Norway unless I take a second mortgage. I know of a five leaf setup from a parted out wagon, so maybe next spring...

4. Lightning II

Lightning II Active Member

Nobody local makes leaf springs over there?

5. Sub03

Sub03 Member

Found a truckshop in Oslo (about two hours from here) which makes leaf springs. But with the high hourly rates here, ordering new ones from the states will be cheaper.

6. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Air shocks are going to make your car ride like shit. Don't do it.

7. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

You can have leaf springs re-arched if you can't get new. I had this done and it turned out pretty good. Either that or build your own leaf pack reusing the existing main leaf and whatever else you can that isn't worn out from other vehicles.

Sub03 likes this.
  8. LSM360

LSM360 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Avoid air shocks.

9. Sub03

Sub03 Member

Could you guys please say something about how the air shocks makes the ride so crappy?

As I said my air shocks was a temporary fix for my saggy rear, but you know how it is with temporary things when they work out OK....
    When I say it did work out OK it was compared with the old shocks, probably the original ones.:eek:

Maybe I should quit goofing arond and just replace the leafs. Then again the Aspen is kind of a sunday/nice weather car. Never sees any hard cornering. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

10. Lightning II

Lightning II Active Member

To put it bluntly: Just replacing the leafs is the simplest thing to do. The air shocks would be a band-aid.

Rustyroger likes this.
  11. volare 77

volare 77 Well-Known Member

Air shocks may not be the thing to do nowadays but when I was a kid Gabriel HiJackers were one of the first things other then mag wheels that went on the car. Mostly used for tire clearance back then.

SuicideRider likes this.
  12. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Uncle Tony had a video recently talking about HiJackers and slotted mags. I was born in the wrong decade.

13. LSM360

LSM360 Well-Known Member

Air shocks are not made to make up for worn out suspension.

Rustyroger likes this.
  14. Rustyroger

Rustyroger Well-Known Member

I had the rear springs on my Fifth Avenue refurbished, brought the ride height back to original and gave a much improved ride. I was advised that the shock mountings aren't up to dealing with a sustained load, and as the shocks are at an angle to the suspension direction of travel air shocks wouldn't help much.

Roger.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020 at 8:48 AM