Can someone check a Vin# for me?

Camtron

Reaction score
Was wondering if there’s someone on here who can check Vin’s. I’m curious as to what ever happened to my first car (1968 Mercury Montclair) and I just happened to find its registration from, 2005.
Figured I’d ask.
Maybe you can check but, you don’t want everyone asking you to run Vin’s...shoot me a message and it can be our little secret, lol

Thanks.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Not sure if Illinois does this but, some DMV's will run the VIN (I believe WI does). They can tell you if the car is still registered in your state but obviously not the owners name and address. I have heard there's a way for them to contact the current owner and give them YOUR name and address to contact if they wish. Not sure of the exact specifics or legal aspects but it's something along those lines.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The ‘80/81 (not all companies changed to new VIN format in 1980) and newer VIN’s (17-digit) are easy to check history (not ownership) via Carfax and other similar companies.
The ‘79/80 and older VIN’s are not so easy for most to look up. Your local DMV might be the best bet. Sometimes Googling a VIN can check for recent data (car auctions, etc.) but most time that only works if data is less than a year old.

maybe becoming real good friends with a police officer with a pledge of a two month supply of donuts might get you something (good . . . or bad).
BudW

Back