CANADIANS where do you get your car audio stuff at??

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the worn out speakers in an 88 5th.

3.5 fronts, 5x7 rear nothing fancy. They may get amped.. and there will be a woofer added. Maybe some tweeters for the front channel.

My question, where to get them?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the worn out speakers in an 88 5th.

3.5 fronts, 5x7 rear nothing fancy. They may get amped.. and there will be a woofer added. Maybe some tweeters for the front channel.

My question, where to get them?

before you even get to that point, I put 5x7s in my 89 5th, but it involved a die grinder and removing a fair amount of material.. If you can't chop up your ride a little to ake them fit, you'll want 4x6s. I didn't mind doing that to mine, but I honestly thought 5x7s would drop right in, if I had to do it again, I'd have just opened the hole up a touch larger and put proper 6x9s in, way more options to choose from that way, and you can get a much better speaker, a lot easier..

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
OHhh, the info I had found said they were 5x7. I have no issue hacking the rear parcel shelf,lol its an m body not a 67 mustang! lol

so 6x9's it is, but where to find quality shallow magnet 3.5?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
They are 5x7 but they're mounted from the top of I remember correctly so you have to tear the parcel shelf apart to get them out. Somewhere i have a link to where to get the shallow front speakers but I'll have to dig through my abyss of paperwork.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Do you guys have Crutchfield (the mail order outfit) up there? I got speakers for my car from them. Although, I got the cheapest ones they offered to go with my awesome 4 watt original Am/FM/Stereo, LOL. Anyways, the front dash speakers are shallow magnet 3" (?) speakers and the rear don't hang down all that far either.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
They are 5x7 but they're mounted from the top of I remember correctly so you have to tear the parcel shelf apart to get them out. Somewhere i have a link to where to get the shallow front speakers but I'll have to dig through my abyss of paperwork.

you are right cap'n. It was 6x8s I was told would fit. I guess on cars where they are mounted from below? so I stand corrected. Still, if you don't mind a little grinding, I'd still get 6x9s. the I fit 3.5s in the front, the magnets were a little big, nothing a 6" long impact extension and a 6# mini sledge couldn't make room for tho...

Mr C

Reaction score
I got a set of rear speakers (stock replacement variety...I don't need a booming radio) from the clearance bin a Princess auto...$5.00, work great with the stock radio.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I don't listen to the radio to numb my brain with some sensory action ;) I enjoy music very much, so much so that there is always music playing when I am around.

I also do not enjoy hearing loss and bass that breaks glass... BUT being able to crisply hear all of what the speaker is trying to produce definitely does it for me :D.

I've looked in to crutchfield, can't recall what I found there! lololo

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Canadian Crutchfield is crutchfield.ca. Not as good a selection as the US Crutchfield, but prices are competitive or even better than most of the local discount/big box places (at least in Calgary).

Kostas

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't listen to the radio to numb my brain with some sensory action ;) I enjoy music very much, so much so that there is always music playing when I am around.

I also do not enjoy hearing loss and bass that breaks glass... BUT being able to crisply hear all of what the speaker is trying to produce definitely does it for me :D.

I've looked in to crutchfield, can't recall what I found there! lololo

Same here. I rarely, if ever, turn the radio on in the Aspen. Best music is from under the hood anyways, lol! The '96 Dakota daily driver does just fine with the factory Am/FM 4 speaker stereo with the original speakers. Damn,,,,,,,,,,I must be getting old................

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I put a early 90's radio from a Dakota in my Fifth.
Perfect fit. Plugs are the same and now I've got a cd player.
Woohoo!!!

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I like usb plugins, and bluetooth for my day-to-day life!

I just remembered i might have some quality 5x7 and 3.5" speakers at my old mans house.. when I land in ontario this sunday morn I will be sure to check in to it!

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Hello kind forum people of the Chrysler lands..

I am looking to replace those front speakers and hear I have to take the entire dash out. Not a big deal for me, but a little know how or words of advice from experience would be helpful :)

Do the componentsame behind the main Guage bezel need removed? Or do they go with the main dash when pulled??

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Hello kind forum people of the Chrysler lands..

I am looking to replace those front speakers and hear I have to take the entire dash out. Not a big deal for me, but a little know how or words of advice from experience would be helpful :)

Do the componentsame behind the main Guage bezel need removed? Or do they go with the main dash when pulled??

that is true, but it's not that hard, it's pretty easy to see what's holding it in and where. just give a corner a bit of a tug, if it doesn't come out look to where it's attached, if there's a screw remove it, if there's another panel over it give a corner of that a tug, etc..

Monkeyed

Reaction score
that or take it to a professional. Personally, I'd rather take my chances myself, than hand off a bunch of cash to someone else and hope that they don't screw it up..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
IIRC you need to pull the glove box to get the right one and the small cluster with the temp gauge to get the left.

Eventually i WILL do a tutorial because I have to do mine.

Back