Carpet Underlay/Padding

moreada

Reaction score
So i am looking to replace some of my underlay. The carpet has been washed but the padding still has a bit of funk to it.

What do you folks use as replacement? What should I be looking for? Dynamat is too pricey for me, and want to do it on a budget. I've saved my existing underlay as a trace pattern or worst case scenario to reuse (dont really want to). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe12459

Reaction score
For underlay, residential carpet padding works well. For sound insulation, you can use Frost King self adhesive duct insulation. It is no as good as Dynamat, but it does help a lot. I use it under the carpet underlay, behind the door panels and anywhere else you would use Dynamat. It only costs $16.00 a roll, and you can get it at Home Depot.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Do you have "Lowe's" up there? They have a product called "Peel and Seal" that works great, too. Google it. :)

Aspen500

Reaction score

moreada

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. That stuff you linked to from Speedway is nice... I reckon it won't be cheap to ship. Will try to source something locally. I may even ask the auto body shop. I figure they've used or sourced some before. Home Depot ain't far either. The stock stuff was quite good but smelled foul and the material was giving off a smell I wasn't sure would go away so why take the chance?

moreada

Reaction score
So its been about a week since I've pulled the last layer of underpadding out (the layer with the funky asphalt like stuff on top). It seemed to contribute heavily to an odour in the car. Am unsure if it was simply because it was exposed to open air and had the sun shining on it or what. I pulled it and let it sit in the sun. Sprayed febreeze and a cleaner/odor killer called Moldex. Am unsure if its worth keeping, as it seems to have absorbed a deal of stuff over the years. It rained last night... will spray again then suck out water with shop vac. See what happens but i am not super keen on putting it back.

After seeing some options, i found out my employer sells Dynamat and could get me some if I wanted.

They have many products I found out. And this one interests me as I pulled the insulation from under my hood, but wonder if this would work under the carpet in lieu of the missing underlay and carpet pad:

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/hoodliner/

Its not cheap, but going to ask boss what it would cost if I grabbed two. Not sure if one will do whole interior f car... gotta measure my pads today. Also thinking about treating a few panels with dynamat like the dash piece over the front speakers and the roof panel. 25% cover isn't going to be too expensive.

moreada

Reaction score
I am going to price some Dynamat products vs some Sound Defender Showdown CLD tiles and probably 3 rolls of the Speedway Motors underpad with foil ($24.95 U.S. will be about $30 and change Canadian, plus shipping etc... I figure $125.

Is there anything similar and available in Canada I am missing that would be as good as the foil lined stuff from Speedway? I am hoping to order tomorrow to have in a week or two.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
The stuff your talking about is an extra layer of sound deadening material. Very heavy stuff. Its part of a couple option packages. You dont have to use it if you dont want to. The carpet has jute padding, or should have.

100_1437.jpg

100_1437.jpg

Last edited:

moreada

Reaction score
That's the stuff!

Does it smell normally? I am having a hard time telling if its naturally that way or due to my situation.

As well on some pieces there is corrosion (rust colour) on a few spots where the jute is not very good, and some of the plastic film is peeling off the black deadening material. Before i replace anything I want to spray the spots under the mat to fight corrosion.

I hate spending money but am scared to put it back together only to find out it smells. Is the black stuff asphalt or butyl based? I was considering laying a thin neoprene sheet over the aftermarket padding to replace the heavy stock top layer - won't be exactly the same but similar intention.

Back