cat convertor ca emmisions

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t want to lie to anyone about can or can’t be done in the country of United Cities of California.

Also, I don’t recall seeing a car with a pre-cat on one side of U-pipe (only), either. Just as soon as I say one doesn’t exist – I will be proven wrong . . .

I have two Y pipes (with pre-cats) for sale. One off of a ’84 Gran Fury 318 4-bbl (police car). It has been sitting outside for 5 years but should be good once cob webs are removed. When I got that car, the downstream cat was cut off – but I think Y pipe is fine.

Also, there is a 3 cat system, currently in my ’86 5th Ave 318 2-bbl that I can’t wait to remove. I expect it to be available spring of next year.

BudW

Leizurtime

Reaction score
I don’t want to lie to anyone about can or can’t be done in the country of United Cities of California.

Also, I don’t recall seeing a car with a pre-cat on one side of U-pipe (only), either. Just as soon as I say one doesn’t exist – I will be proven wrong . . .

BudW

Here it is and it is only on the driver side. I think maybe the engineers wanted to start the burn process sooner on the driver bank seeing as it travels a bit longer before reaching the main cat than the passenger side. I think by 79 they were using the two pre-cats. I found some direct fit pre-cats in the CATCO catalog but they only go back to 79.

http://www.catcoglobal.com/assets/m..._New_York/files/assets/downloads/page0494.pdf

I want to remove the thing, all I know is that California requires you to have all original smog equipment. However, if one part is diagnosed by a smog station as having failed and no company manufactures that type of part anymore than you can have it exempted.

IMG_2094.JPG

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
However, if one part is diagnosed by a smog station as having failed and no company manufactures that type of part anymore than you can have it exempted.
Hum . . . (thinking while scratching his harry chin).

Back