Center bore

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
What is the center bore of our cars. I'm having a slight issue with my wheels. they're uni lug and the car shakes when i get up around 65-70 on the thruway. Looking to buy some hubcentric rings to see if that helps.

ramenth

Reaction score
Uni-lugs? Really? A bad idea in a long list of bad ideas.

Make sure the things are in balance.

Besides the hub center, make want to a take a good look at the lug bores, make sure none of them are rounded out and are actually holding torque. Makes sure the washers are not flexed out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It is 2 13/16" (2.81" or 71.5 mm)
With unilugs you should have centering rings. Got a good feeling they'll help the vibration.
Plus,,,,,without them the weight of the car is held solely by the studs and clamping force instead of the hub.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
yeah. just found that out the hard way. i went to re torque the wheels and cracked a couple of my lug nuts. by the way, thanks for the center bore number. is there really a good side to unilug?

Aspen500

Reaction score
There is no good side to unilug. IMO it was a bad idea in the 1960's with the Cragar SS and it's a bad idea now. Actually, not even sure if they're made anymore. Most wheels come in different bolt circles. Still need centering rings regardless, especially with the shanked "mag" style lug nuts or lug bolts (if you're German, lol).

ramenth

Reaction score
is there really a good side to unilug?

No.

Think about it: it's a one size fits most wheel. Not hub centric, and the clamping force holding the wheel on is the flange where the washer fits. There's no contact area of the nut actually to the wheel, not like a bugle nut actually mating against the wheel.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That was one of the biggest factors in the choice of wheels for my car. Wanted something hubcentric and with taper seat lug nuts. Also there was the custom backspace and width needed for the rear wheels which narrowed the choice down a lot also, and ended up with Wheel Vintiques Rallye wheels.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
I agree with you there. I love the way the slots look on the car, but dont like the unilug bs. So i plan on getting a set of the ansen sprints that american racing has and go from there. they have an offset of 0 with a 4" backspace and also use the bulge style lug instead of the long shank i use on the car now. The bore on the is 83mm or so, so ill just have find the rings for it and hope that it works out.

Back