Charlene's Hitting The Road...

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
500 mile break in, I've had 8 3/4 gear sets last 125 passes, about 60 miles and there missing teeth. A switch to synthetic and I pull them at 400 passes.
I use 4.88 pro gears...

...alright, but everyone knows the drag racing use is significantly different than street use. Case in point, a 1/4 mile pass stresses the mechanical & strength aspects of the gearset, the street stuff on the other hand will primarily kill the gears due to heat build-up and therefore the breakdown in the lubricating qualities of the gear lube and the subsequent metal-to-metal contact.

Were you running a SG unit, or was this a spool setup?

I honestly would not mind running synthetic being a strong believer in their advantages. The problem is that the old stuff we are using today was not designed around the tech advances we see these days.

Put another way, my '742 carrier build uses new Richmond gears as well as new SG clutch plates (and bearings, etc, etc)...so I'm really looking for a durable combination that will not need any work to stay in shape.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
A very good question.

I do know that clutch type limited slip differentials will chatter around turns if no limited slip additive is added. That chattering is removing a good portion of the clutch plate facing each time it does chatter...

A few more miles to put on the odometer and I will start pushing this ride a bit harder, once I power through a few corners I'll be able to tell better what's going on with it.

So far, at low speed there is no clutch chatter, but I did toss a bottle of the SG additive in there.

Back