Chicken Pickin'

slant6billy

Reaction score
nice. Makes me want to put a virtual FMJ jam session together. I have not really played other than to just screw around since September. I may need to run through some Mixolidian scales

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
nice. Makes me want to put a virtual FMJ jam session together. I have not really played other than to just screw around since September. I may need to run through some Mixolidian scales

Then dang mixolydian scales!!

Somebody has some very nimble fingers. Not a country fan, but nice picking.

Kostas

One of many styles Kostas.....lots and lots of session work over the years.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Love the groove on this, both you and the rest of the band. Being a session guy, you must be very well versed in a lot of different styles. i"ve often wondered if that allows you to borrow ideas from one style to another on the fly.

Didn't mean to say anthing bad about the country tune, its a good tune, just not the type of music I normally listen to. One of my friends is a luthier (guitar repair guy, but he repairs more than just guitars), and plays in a number of bands. Some of the styles he plays, I am not a big fan of (traditiionaly jazz, for example), but some others, even though he exposed me to them for the first time, I have taken a liking to (acoustic fingerstyle, gypsy/hot jazz). For whatever reason, I don't like country (as played on country stations) but really like bluegrass.

Just me being weird.

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
I've always had respect for the chickin pickin style..even though I'm not a country fan. I need to figure out the best way to record at church, because my heavier tone brings a different flavor to the normal church music played around here. When you take someone who grew up listening to Van Halen and Metallica, naturally their tone/style will have a little influence.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Love the groove on this, both you and the rest of the band. Being a session guy, you must be very well versed in a lot of different styles. i"ve often wondered if that allows you to borrow ideas from one style to another on the fly.

Didn't mean to say anthing bad about the country tune, its a good tune, just not the type of music I normally listen to. One of my friends is a luthier (guitar repair guy, but he repairs more than just guitars), and plays in a number of bands. Some of the styles he plays, I am not a big fan of (traditiionaly jazz, for example(, but some others, even though he exposed me to them for the first time, I have taken a liking to (acoustic fingerstyle, gypsy/hot jazz). For whatever reason, I don't like country (as played on country stations( but really like bluegrass.

Just me being weird.

Yes Sir....I've played everything from metal to polkas....whatever the session calls for.....for the record I'm the band on those two tracks.....I play everything on them.

No harm taken about the country thing.....the reason you like bluegrass and not country is probably because just like all the other genres of music country has gone to crap as well.

I've always had respect for the chickin pickin style..even though I'm not a country fan. I need to figure out the best way to record at church, because my heavier tone brings a different flavor to the normal church music played around here. When you take someone who grew up listening to Van Halen and Metallica, naturally their tone/style will have a little influence.

I haven't used one myself but I've heard really good things about these portable recorders.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h4n

Monkeyed

Reaction score

I grew up on that same stuff, jammed with some heavy heavy hardcore Death Metal bands, then 6 months later found myself drafted into playing gospel music in a tiny church in the projects. This was around the time Lamb of God was becoming big, so it didn't feel too extreme.

brotherGood

Reaction score

I grew up on that same stuff, jammed with some heavy heavy hardcore Death Metal bands, then 6 months later found myself drafted into playing gospel music in a tiny church in the projects. This was around the time Lamb of God was becoming big, so it didn't feel too extreme.

The ones old enough to be my parents, they remember VH, Nugent, that era. Haven't had any recognize my main guitar from the cover of Van Halen 1, but I also haven't played in the adult service..just the youth. Although, they're constantly coming up because they can hear us through the ceiling.

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
Haven't had any recognize my main guitar from the cover of Van Halen 1
what do you mean by this ? you played on it ?? im going to see them in the summer got some great tickets for them at the Toronto molson amphitheater and also going to see scorpions/queensryche again -got pit tickets for them and 4 extra ,hint hint capt and any other local boys ! if anyone is interested (friday sept the 18th at molson amphitheater as well ,,great place to see a show ,,actually my favorite ,then the acc center ,,i wont go back to rogers center ,,way to big ,,even good seats are crap!seen dixie chicks and EAGLES there well sorta ,,heard them mostly and i had good floor seats

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Brothergood made a copy of the VH guitar.
I'm pretty sure he didn't play on that album unless it was possible from a playpen.....lol!!

Thanks for the heads up Ninja.
But once you've seen Halen in the original lineup touring Fair Warning, seeing them now just wouldn't cut it for me.....

brotherGood

Reaction score
Haven't had any recognize my main guitar from the cover of Van Halen 1
what do you mean by this ? you played on it ?? im going to see them in the summer got some great tickets for them at the Toronto molson amphitheater and also going to see scorpions/queensryche again -got pit tickets for them and 4 extra ,hint hint capt and any other local boys ! if anyone is interested (friday sept the 18th at molson amphitheater as well ,,great place to see a show ,,actually my favorite ,then the acc center ,,i wont go back to rogers center ,,way to big ,,even good seats are crap!seen dixie chicks and EAGLES there well sorta ,,heard them mostly and i had good floor seats

Yeah, what capn said..I made a copy.

20140307_232708_zpshufqjk1g.jpg

I was born in 90, so there was no way I was playing haha. I've seen VH once, in 08. Really wish I could've seen them back when they were all over the place, and Dave could sing. I'm still up in the air as to if I want to see them. I really like KWS too..but what little money I've got, I've gotta be smart with.

Scorpions, and Eagles are coming around here too..but same thing..I'd love to see em but have no money.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Here's my deal with these classic bands....
I'm an old bastard so I saw a lot of great bands in their prime.
The idea of an almost 60 year old Van Halen slugging through Ain't Talkin Bout Love just doesn't appeal to me.

Like Journey with the asian dude, the freaking Who??
Townsend is deaf and I suspect Daltry clocking in at what?....kissing 70 just won't have the same impression when he heaves out " Teenage Wasteland"

Call me a curmudgeon but I'd rather spin the album......that's just me though.....

I understand the buzz of going and all but I'd just be let down.

Back