Chicken Pickin'

brotherGood

Reaction score
Here's my deal with these classic bands....
I'm an old bastard so I saw a lot of great bands in their prime.
The idea of an almost 60 year old Van Halen slugging through Ain't Talkin Bout Love just doesn't appeal to me.

Like Journey with the asian dude, the freaking Who??
Townsend is deaf and I suspect Daltry clocking in at what?....kissing 70 just won't have the same impression when he heaves out " Teenage Wasteland"

Call me a curmudgeon but I'd rather spin the album......that's just me though.....

I understand the buzz of going and all but I'd just be let down.

That's kinda another reason why I'm on the fence. Granted, I never got to see these bands in their prime, but thanks to YouTube and bootlegs..I can watch what's out there. Although, when they start playing deeper cuts..that's when I'll be upset I'm missing them.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
THe other point is what concert tickets are going for these days. Eagles came by Calgary a while ago, good seats were $300 each. Fleetwood Mac was the same. That is a very expensive night if you bring a date/wife, or heaven forbid, a couple of teenagers along with the wife. That night would be getting into the cost of an engine rebuild. Still might be worht it, but the bands themselves are older with the ravages of age on full display (difficulty in reaching high notes, or volume, etc.). In the case of the Eagles, one of the founding members, Don Felder isn't there any more. In the case of Fleetwood Mac, Christine McVie was absent for 20+ years.

So I would be expected to pay over $600 for a band (Eagles) with a missing (and very integral) member, and see the remaining members play songs that they can't perform properly any more? Pass.

I would, and do, enjoy going to see local bar bands. Not so fancy, no famaous people around, but a nice time can be had for a much lower price. In many cases, the covers of songs sound better than the original band in concert today. Its even better if the bar band plays some of thier own tunes.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have to agree with Kostas...
I'd much rather see a cover band doing old songs than the leftovers of an old band pretending to be that old band. At least the singer will be able to hit the notes and the song will be fairly well represented depending on how good the band is..

So many names are dragged through the mud for the sake of cashing in.... AC/DC is touring.....really?? Angus....as much as I love the guy's playing is 60....the drummer is a meth addict up on charges and Johnson was having trouble actually singing as far back as Razors Edge....let's face it....these guys are getting old. Pretty soon the only dirty deeds they'll be doing is cleaning up after their prostate clogged pecker fire sprinkles the floor.

To me rock is a young man's game. That's the whole vibe and idea behind it. I wanna rock and roll all night and party everyday....not watch the tube all night and garden everyday.

Queen with a fake Freddy, Thin Lizzy with one remaining original member who coincidentally isn't Phil Lynott who WAS Thin Lizzy....and it goes on and on....I admire the ones who gracefully go away. Robert Plant won't do Zeppelin anymore because he probably sees how foolish it would be.

Like I said....I can understand why some people who never caught these geezer's the first time might want to see them but to me it's almost like watching a bad Las Vegas tribute bend. I doubt Angus wants to ride the Highway To Hell anymore and it's obvious that Daltry doesn't really want to die before he gets old.....myself?....I'd rather remember them the way they were....which is why I just stay home and crank the original on my stereo. It's cheaper, the beer is better and I get to hear all my faves the way they were meant to be.

That's just me......

brotherGood

Reaction score
Yeah, I too agree. I picked up the new VH live album, and played it track to track against their performance during US fest 83. Just had to laugh

Back