Choke Pull-off

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have not seen that many TQs but all the ones I have seen, used the same clip as shown.

But it sounds to me like you are after something called a Tinnerman nut: tinnerman nut - Google Search:

On the same page as the link posted, they are called "Push Nuts", not Tinnerman nuts. You push the choke rod through the choke plate, and to keep it from pulling back our, you put a push nut on the end of the choke rods sticking out of the back side of the choke plate. They push on in one direction, the leaves open up to let the rod through, but they don't come off because the leaves are closed down around the choke rod. First picture below is the new choke heater unit. The second picture below is a close up of the end of the choke rod, with the 90 degree bend in it (this is what goes through thole in the choke plate),and the push not goes on the end of the choke rod after it comes out of the choke plate to keep it from falling off.

Thanks for the link.

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I know what you are talking about.

In my ’84 parts book, the part numbers are:
(2-bbl) 4095966 (CHOKE ROD END SPRG LT) – discontinued ($0.10 if you can find one at a dealership).
(TQ) 4041917 (CHOKE ROD END-RT) – discontinued ($0.25, again, if you can find one). I think this part is different because of the HUGE tamper-resistant choke used on that year TQ. I also believe a regular clip will work in place of this one.

My ’77 parts book shows 1 part number for all carburetors at 2465560 (CHOKE COIL ROD END SPRG) – also at $0.10 (superseded to 4095966)

68-71 Mopar A B C E Body Cuda Charger Carter Holley Cuda 1/8 Inch Choke Rod Clip | eBay

E-Body Parts and Restoration (Dodge, Plymouth, Mopar Restoration) Top item

Mancini Racing Choke Rod Clip, 1/8"

Note: I didn’t mention the clip listed on above post and not sure if I even seen a Tinnerman nut before.

Hope this helps
BudW
Choke Rod Clip.jpg

RRCarb-LftSide.jpg

thR16LJCD0.jpg

Edit: the clip (top photo) is a mirror copy. The correct clip is generally green in color. Black for the older ones.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I didn't know that Mopar had specific retainers for the choke rod. My intent is to get a pushnut/push nut/PAL nut. See the picture below, I will be chasing down the one that is second one from the left. I will just have to find one that has an opening just smaller than the choke rod diameter. It would be great to find the factory correct one, but it will be over $CAN10 by the time I get it up here. I can probably find a small bag of these push nuts for $CAN2-3.

frtpnf.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with those style fasteners is they are a pain to do and un-do.

I can get you one and mail it to you for the cost of a padded envelope and postage.
It only takes 2 seconds to do or undo the correct clip.

I would try a hardware store or an auto parts store, first.
There should a Dorman HELP item # 41016 or 41017 - that should contain what you are looking for.

I can also pick one up at my local Pull-a-part, but it costs me $3 admission.
BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bud,
If you get one or two on your next trip to the Pull-a-part and then ship it/them to Kostas, I'll cover the cost when I send you the recovered Visors and a thumb drive for the parts manuals.
Bekasu

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can do.

I “think” I have a few in my garage, but anything that is less than ½”, sometimes walk off and can take hours (or weeks) to locate.

Currently, I have a pair of foot long ’67 B-body trim items that I’m currently looking for. I took pictures of them not long ago – so I know they are in there – but for the life of me, I can’t find them.

If I can’t find a pair of chrome foot long trim items. . . then these little clips might be even more difficult to locate.

At pull-a-part, these clips should be easy to locate – for they fit a lot of cars at a lot of locations on a car.

I might not get a chance to go, this weekend.
Had to drive my pickup today, for both my wagon and car are currently down. Hadn’t driven my pickup to work, sense last fall or summer.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Wish we were closer.
I could come by and help you with the cruisers.
I have to make another trip down to Meridian to pick up a livestock trailer so I'm occupied for a couple of days.
Then we are supposed to have rain off and on this next week.

Ah well...
Good luck on the treasure hunt.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
JustWondering/BudW:

I will check the local Auto Value/Parts Source stores for the Dorman part numbers. If not, I will get back to you. I can pay for the part and shipping, but it will need to be through Paypal. Thanks for the offer., It is much appreciated.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ahhh ..
Kkrit - that takes all the fun out of it.

I met BudW and he brought me great loot from the pick-n-pull in Oklahoma.
I cover the visors and send back to him.
Then he goes dumpster-diving for that fancy little clip and sends it to you.
That leaves you sending me some funky doo-dad/picture/seeds/what-not from Canada.

Besides, gives me an excuse to keep up with BudW and his beautiful blue wagon.

All we need is the mailing address.
Just think about it.
One day, you never know when, you get a letter in the post with a choke-pull off clip. Now that would just make your day, wouldn't it?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Yes it would. Seeds I don't know about (US Border/Customs may not like that, and/or Canadian Border Services may not let them through), but I can do doo-dads/pictures/what-nots.

One of the funniest things that I have had US visitors ask for is HP steak sauce. Not sold in the US for some reason. This goes back to when I was a Test Technologist, and working with some high end testers called In-Circuit Testers (ICT). There were two major vendors at the time, Genrad (short for General Radio. now bought out), and HP (that HP, short for Hewlett Packard, which is now a computer company; the test equipment division was split off and is now called Agilent (to be honest, that sounds like an infection or disease of some sort)). The Genrad sales guys got a huge laugh out of the HP steak sauce.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I found Dorman 41016 at a local Auto Value store. It was a pack of 6 clips of various sizes (and from indications above, right and left sided ones). BudW and JustWondering, thanks for the help and encouragement,

Back